Hello from scotland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ollie1, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ollie1

ollie1 Active Member

I am new to My Czech Republic and i have just recently returned from Prague and can,t wait to go back. Completely fell in love with this beautiful city and warm caring people, went to all the tourist places including the jewish quarter ( very thought provoking), I am now trying to learn the language before i return in the summer and i wish i,d known about this web site before i went as its so informative and helpful.

thanks everyone

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Welcome, enjoy the website, and let us know about your progress learning czech :)

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Being from Scotland, you will have an advantage over some of us when learning Czech. Your "r" and "ch" should already be pretty close to Czech - a lot of language guides say to pronounce them like "a Scot or Spanish r" and "like the ch in the word loch" :wink:

Enjoy.

4. ollie1

ollie1 Active Member

Thank you for your welcome,

I,m going to need all the help i can get on getting my head round the language and actually remembering everything. So far i have been unable to find a tutor in edinburgh which would have been perfect.
    A couple of years ago i was lucky enough to spend some time in Nassau and Paradise Island, it,s the nearest iv,e ever been to sunny florida and as beautiful as these place are, nothing compares to the czech republic.

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I agree. I was born and raised in Florida - it is my home and I do love it but, the Czech Republic has stolen my heart.

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome.

I learnt recenly how Scottish English accent sounds and I really like it :)

7. ollie1

ollie1 Active Member

I hope you are off these cigarettes !!! they are really bad for you. Please keep yourself well. I stopped just over 3 years ago and i,m glad i did as we can,t smoke anywhere here now apart from designated areas, they fine people even if you throw a stub out of your car window or on the ground if caught. Found the smell of smoke hard to ignore in Prague.
    I am born & raised in edinburgh, its a beautiful city and great fun in the summer when our festival brings people from all over the world, but like you its the czech republic and those lovely czech people that have stolen my heart - i just hope they realise that they have all our hearts!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eso, glad you like the scottish accent, we have a national comic book passed down through generations called the Broons, it,s about a funny scottish family, www.thatsbraw.co.uk and tell me what you think !!!!

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Interesting, do you know some website about english accents all around the world? Recently I figured out how to recognlize New Zealand accent - the used to pronounce "e" as "i" in certain positions in the word, they mean "set" and say "sit" :roll:.

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

In fact I do. It's www.youtube.com :)

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I will visit it, thanks.

11. General Joy

General Joy Well-Known Member

Welcome, Pamela. Other than going back to Prague, one place I'm dying to visit is Scotland! :D

12. ollie1

ollie1 Active Member

Hope you make it to scotland, its only a couple of hours on the plane from here to prague & flights are inexpensive.

13. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Welcome :)