Hello to everybody!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by atlshawty, Apr 12, 2008.

1. atlshawty

atlshawty New Member

OK so I am new to this board and I am glad I found it. I am originally from Czech but lived in Atlanta, GA for long years. Due to some family problems I came to Prague two weeks ago and looks like am gonna stay till Christmas. Therefore, if anybody would like to hang out with a 23 year old female and speak English, hit me up! I do speak Czech but prefere English....

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Do you mean four long years or for many years?

btw, it sounds as if it was an unexpected visit to CR. I know sometimes those can be hard due to many things you might need to be accomplishing in the States or friends you may be missing. However, try to make the best out of it by thinking of it as an opportunity to live 2 lives, one in the States and one in CR. Many would love to be able to take a several month leave of absence from their current life. I know many of my Czech friends and family would love the opportunity to spend several months in CR and then return home. However, I also know that my advice is unfortunately much easier said than done. :wink: I hope your family situation works out. :)

3. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

its czenglish - from Czech idion "po dlouhá léta" - years was long from writers point of view..
    similar idioms:
    "dlouhý den" - could be "busy day"? - exhausting day or day full of events.
    works with all time units(except seconds;)

4. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say welcome from hot Palm Springs! :D

5. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Yes, we say "It's going to be a long day" or "It was a long day" when we mean "quite eventful/exhausting" But we would never use the sentence "for long years". It sounds weird as if the amount is missing. One might say "for many long years" or "for 2 long years" meaning it seems longer than it really was. But I don't believe one would say it without clarifying some sort of time period.

As the reader, we aren't sure if she's been here for 2 years or 20. We only know it feels like a long time to her.

6. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Welcome