Help I Need to Know!!!

Discussion in 'Culture' started by snow_boarder, Dec 25, 2004.

1. snow_boarder

snow_boarder Member

I'm a 16 year old American female, but I look and act extremely older. I really like a 23 year old Czech AHL hockey player. I have liked him for a long time and I recently wrote him a poem about how much I repsect him and I gave it to him. I've met him and he's extremely nice (and shy) and told me he really appreciated the poem. He said it was "unbelievable" and he didn't know how to respond to it. As far as I know, he's single. He doesn't wear a ring or have a girlfriend.Do you tink I might have a slight chance with him? How is age difference perceived in the Czech Republic? Also, he always says hi to me now when he sees me, but he says it so quietly and I barely hear it so sometimes I don't respond. Is he just trying to be nice or something else? Do you think their might be a chance we could be friends? He's a really cool guy and he's very nice (his looks help too)... Sigh.....

An excerpt from my poem so you can get an idea of what is was about...

He impressed the coaches, the fans, the press.
    His skating ability and skill was incredible.
    Poised Passer, Strong Shooter,
    His strength was exceptional.

Through many great seasons, The Blue Line Champion
    Proved his talent and looked very nice.
    The Star Defenseman.
    Hero of the Ice.

2. Malnik

Malnik Well-Known Member

Oh dear....... The only people that worry about age difference are parents. 16/23 is quite a difference (at that age but not say, 40/47), but it really depends on the people.
    Dont take this personal...but 23 yr olds are looking for different things than 16 yr olds. The 16yr old may be still growing opinions and could be easily led into things that 23 yr olds do. Some of these things arent goood for 16 yr olds as they may do stuff just to be seen to be cool and not stupid. When really the things they are encouraged to do for the gratification of the 23 yr old, are stupid.
    Obviously this guy is a star player. I am sure he is quite worldly in his lifstyle and the impression he gives of being shy is probably a way to get attention. Princess Diana had the impression of being shy, but ask her gentleman friends if she was shy.....
    Having said that...its really down to you to approach this guy. Just be aware that he probably is chased and can pick any girl in the crowd. Talk to him, ask him for a coke but keep your head...dont do anything stupid just to be a friend.
    I sound like some old person giving advice to beware of guys.....i'm not, honest.

Mal

3. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

Do you realize that your crush could be arrested if he were to date you? You are still a minor, and if he knows American law- he knows this too.
    Your poem is sweet and heartfelt, but you should move your sights elsewhere. Hockey players that date young women usually get them into trouble. Google St. Louis Blues hockey player Mike Danton and see what happens to young girls who get starstruck by hockey players.....

4. Malnik

Malnik Well-Known Member

Thats what i meant to say but im not so eloquent as you........ Sadly these guys mostly have a choice of thousands.

5. snow_boarder

snow_boarder Member

Thanks for the advice... I guess I'll just have to admire him from a far.. I don't really think he was interested in me anyways, I mean he's a star hockey player making milliions... oh well ... BEING 16 SUCKS! :cry:

6. Malnik

Malnik Well-Known Member

I bet being my age sucks more than being your age.

7. paulthevol

paulthevol Active Member

Being 16 and in high school were some of the best days of my life, enjoy it while you can. You have much experience to gain, but being a teenager will be the most carefree time of your life. Don't stress about the little things and don't try to grow up to fast. When you are 23, 30 year old men will desire you greatly. You'll see, and then you'll realize the power that you hold over them. :wink: You will get satifcation in a few years, I promise!!!!

Paul

8. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Being sixteen really sucks! It's neither here nor there: no longer a child but not yet an adult. But hey - in a year it will be behind you! :wink:

9. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

When I was 16, I was quite fat, wore very dowdy clothes and was pretty ugly! At 21 I lost about 4 stone and this encouraged me to get more fashionable clothes and it improved my confidence. I put weight on again in my thirties and lost it all again circa 2000.

Boys that wouldn't look twice at school and laughed at me, asked me out in my twenties. It gave me the greatest buzz to tell THEM to buzz off!! :lol: It gives me the best buzz though to see the opposite. And it gave me a buzz to see all the most attractive girls at school all plump, wrinkled and looking their age.

Teens can be great, but so can your next few decades, the advantage being you are older and have a wealth of expewriences to draw upon. I found my late twenties/early thirties were my best. It is all down to individual circumstances!

10. babicka

babicka Well-Known Member

Being 16 may seem to suck; being too old for some things and too young in other respects; one of the "in between" times of life. It is also one of those ages when it is very easy to develop a crush on boys and younger men, this is quite natural, as long as you realise that it is just a crush and do not try to take it any further, as you are at an age when any male could try to take advantage of your innocence if you tried to make an approach to them.
    So just quietly admire from afar, a bit like window shopping, where you can look at the goods on sale in a window, but do not buy anything, and instead just walk by.
    As you start getting into your twenties and then into your thirties you will find that people's personalities are often changing, some for the better and some for the worse. This all depends on their experiences in life and the people that they meet, who may influence how they think and feel. Therefore, someone who is aged twenty could be a completely different person by the time that they reach thirty. This is why you often hear of couples who have said that they have grown apart, as they got married too young, but after their marriage their new hobbies and interests, that they developed over the years since their marriage, have take them in differnt directions, so that eventually they can look at each other and think they are looking at a complete stranger, as they do not have anything in common anymore, and get divorced.
    The same goes for looks, as regarding change. There is a saying that you cannot judge a book by its cover, so just because someone is good looking does not necessarily mean that they are a nice person. Also good looks do not last forever, so someone who may be good looking now, could be fat and bald by the time they are thirty five/forty. But good looks are not everything, as it is personality that counts in the long run.
    16 until aged 18 is a good time to concentrate on your hobbies if you find yourself getting bored. Your poetry is very good by the way, it shows great promise, so one way to release your frustration could be to write poetry, as it would be something to look back on as you get older,
    seeing and noting how your thoughts and feelings are constantly changing. I used to enjoy art when I was your age, and used to go to The Cleveland Institute of Art in Cleveland, Ohio on Saturdays for extra tuition. My bedroom walls used to be covered with my art work.
    What are your hobbies?

11. brigitte

I enjoy seeing elderly couples who have been married since their teens/twenties and still in love. No matter how old, wrinkled, frail or incapacitated they might be they are still in love and enjoy each other the same as they did when they were young. It is so nice to see elderly couples hand in hand.

One thing that bemuses me is that some couples can live together for over 20 years, then get married and split up soon after. I think if it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing!

One problem I noted was that the male side changed in several couples I know, once they married. After previously living together and having a great time, once married the men suddenly changed and behaved differently. Some had the attitude that now they were married, certain areas of their lives had to change. for instance one couple no longer went out clubbing or to parties simply because the man thought they should now stay in at night in front of the tv. And one stopped his wife working, despite in the years they lived together she worked. His excuse "no wife of mine works"! It upsets the balance of the relationship, and then things slide - towards a split and the divorce courts!

12. Malnik

Malnik Well-Known Member

You only noticed the MALE side changed cos you're a FEMALE.

Its something you women do....only see the bad side of us poor down trodden easy going do anything for a quiet time men.
    I was going to add the letters 'wo' to man everytime you wrote it but thought i was being petty.

Im away for a few days now so you can say what you want and i wont respond.... make the most of it!

Mal :p

13. snow_boarder

snow_boarder Member

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad that you like my poem... he told me it was unblievable and he had never had anyone do anything like that for him before... he said he would write me back but he's a typical guy and didn't... he also said that he didn't know how to respond to it and he didn't know what to say if he wrote me back so I told him he did't have to write me back but he said no no I will... I'm going to see him next Sunday because it's skate with the team night.. I want to approach him and talk to him but I don't know what I sould say... He knows I'm just a fan and he's not interested in me anyway but I still want to talk to him I just don't have anything to talk about..

14. brigitte

Good luck! :)

15. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

Brigette-
    I enjoy old couples comfortable with each other's companionship. I think the people that really understand and are successful at marriage know this.
    When sizzling romantic attraction fades after a few inital years, you have to really like the person. I like the saying "A couple who plays together stays together...."

16. brigitte

A lot of elderly people want just that out of life, companionship. When they have retired and reached their older years that is what matters.

The bad thing is, is what happens when one passes away. The other very often goes downhill and passes on soon afterwards. That is a shame. But it unfortunately happens. If a couple have spent most of their lives together, then eventually one has to die first, and it is a very difficult situation for the remaining spouse.

Some elderly couples enjoy the physical side of their relationship well into their 70s and beyond. This is when things count. Obviously, an elderly man is not going to have a spring chicken next to him, but to him she is as beautiful as the day he married her. Nowadays, the emphasis is too much on appearance, and many people get traded in for younger models, when they are barely into their forties. When an elderly couple in their 80s can enjoy a full marriage leaves a lot to be said for todays generations.

17. tuzemski

tuzemski Active Member

Being 16, the driver's license. I'd do it again. No real cares, except school. I had a blast except for that month in detox.