How long would it take to learn Czech?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by miffy, May 2, 2006.

1. miffy

miffy Member

Ahoj, I'm new to the forums and very keen to learn Czech! :D

I am considering applying for a 2 year (4 semester) Masters of European Politics (or another Masters taught in English) at the Masaryk University in Brno when I finish my studies in Australia in 3 years.

If I study casually over here (there aren't any classes in Sydney but I have the Colloquial Czech book and CD and I'm considering buying Pimsleur) and end up taking up the 2 year Masters, would I have a good chance of picking up the language by the end of it?

I know I'd be studying in English but hopefully being surrounded by Czech everywhere else would help. I'd like to hear from anyone who has stayed in the republic long term and how long it took you to finally understand the people around you :wink:

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

I think you'll be pretty okay after the two years. I know some guy who came to the Czech Republic and has lived here for two years and his Czech is now pretty good and he can understand pretty good.

It all depends what kind of friends you'd make (Czech ones or not) and how much time you'd spend learning Czech, how much time you'd spend trying to listen to and speak to a Czech and so and so on.

3. totally

totally New Member

what would you say is the best way to start learning the language?

4. gementricxs

The first and most important things is how much you want to learn it, how much time you spend with the learning. Really the most important stuff in learning is you.

And about the techniqes.
    There are some universities in US, which offer Slavonic language courses with learning Czech. Try to find out whether some university or even high school in your neighborhood offer that.
    The best way for learning it is to have a teacher. You can learnt by yourself, but with teacher it's more effective.
    You can try to find out whether in your neighborhood lives some Czech or someone who can speak Czech.
    Also good thing is to find some other student and learn it together.

Important part is also to have some textbooks. YOu can read a lot on this forum about Czech textbooks. The best ones are "Czech step by step" by Lida Hola and some textbook by James Naughton. Probably the Pilsneur CD edition is also very good.

When you'll be little more advanced you can consider looking for some pen pal who could help you and you could exchange emails with him, that's probably very good way for learning new vocabulary.

And then, the best way is of course to come to Czech Republic and find Czech friends here. And then just as often as they could, just go out with them.

5. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

gementricxs gives good advice here. Czech Step by Step is a great book for learning the language as long as you have a tutor. I wouldn't consider buying Pimsleur though. (I have it) It is very expensive and it is really just for someone who is interested in learning a few phrases to get through a couple week vacation there. If you are really interested in fully speaking Czech, it would just be a waste of money because you will eventually learn the phrases on Pimsleur anyway. I would spend a lot of time listening to locallingo website and watching Czech TV online. That way you will hear the language a lot rather than purchase expensive material that lets you hear some traveling phrases.

6. totally

totally New Member

Thank you so much for such speedy replies. I'm going to start watching czech tv today. I am moving to the Czech republic in september but I wanted at least a minor handle on some basic phrases before I arrived.

Can you recommend any good schools in Prague where I can continue to learn once I get there?

7. gementricxs

Unfortunately I have no experience with schools offering Czech courses, here's what is on expats.cz LINK. Probably locallingo should implement some Czech courses listing to the website, I'm sure it will be very helpful for a lot of people.

One thing, I already mentioned it, but I will mention it again, because I think that it's very important. When you'll be here, try to find some Czech friends or be somehow in closer contact with the language. Watching TV or listening to a radio is probably a good idea, but not for a beginner I think. The language which is spoken on TV is very fast I think and you can't talk to them and you don't have the feedback (i.e. nobody corrects you when speaking). If you'll fine some Czech people to hang out, they'll know what level are you and probably will speak slower to you and they will corrects when you'll be speaking. Actually, it's the same as exchange lessons and it's for free.