Hyphenating last name?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Blake76, May 2, 2004.

1. Blake76

Blake76 Member

Hello, I'm getting married in Prague this summer, and am hoping to add my husband's name to mine, with a hyphen. I don't know if this is commonly done; do you think we'll run into trouble with the matrika (that might not be the right spelling--I mean the marriage-records folks)? Will they honor this request, or consider it bizarre? (My last name is American; his is Czech.) How should we go about arranging it? Any advice/insight welcome!! :) Dekuji!

2. idemtidem

idemtidem Well-Known Member

Yes, it's possible. I think the rule is that they put your new surname first and your maiden name second. They might want to stick a suffix -ova to your new surname though. I'm not sure if you can stop that from happening. :roll:

3. Blake76

Blake76 Member

Thanks. I thought the -ova suffix rule was abolished sometime last year...?

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I think you're right.

5. Blake76

Blake76 Member

Actually, I think I missed something critical from idemtidem's post--the documents will have the adopted (Czech) name *first,* and *then* the last name?? I have no idea what implications that has for official documents--Czech, American, or otherwise. I don't quite understand how that works...... :shock:

6. idemtidem

idemtidem Well-Known Member

Maybe it doesn't matter - I looked it up at the Department of the State website and couldn't find it anywhere. But the way I described is the one I've been seeing - it's possible that those people just wanted it to be that way.

7. Acheron

Acheron Active Member

its not a must to have the -ová in name but it looks and spells weird without that :)