If your liveing in the Czech Republic,set me straight....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by barnacles62, Jan 17, 2012.

1. barnacles62

barnacles62 Member

Im just turned 49.My family always knew we were czech,but then traced our roots twice to assure it.I have over the last few years took a good look at the Czech Republic,and despite my roots are from there,I have found it very enchanting and interesting.I get on the computer every chance I get to look at pics and read things about it,and be that as it may,though Ive never been there,the place and its people have become like old freinds. However,Ive read countless articles on the people becomeing atheist, and very secluded.My family are catholic,and though Ill admit I dont go as I should,I still have beleif.If what Im reading is true,that troubles me,for these people have endured alot,and have bounced back for centeries.ButI hope they havent lost faith....Help me on this if you can....thanks

2. Jcarr

Jcarr New Member

To start with you do not need to be devout to be a good person or live a good life. To answer your question the age of the person and the region within the country has much to do with it. In Moravia and in the north a fair percentage of people are very devout. In the larger cities much less so.

Certainly a much much higher percentage of Poles are devout Catholics.
    I live in the South where I know a few families who attend every week but many places have very low attendance. A few years ago they were talking about bringing Polish priests here as so few Czech males were interested.

Czech's are very proud of their history and many holidays are catholic based but yes a very high percentage are agnostic or atheist

3. barnacles62

barnacles62 Member

Thank-you for replying,and I agree that you do not have to be devout,I hardly ever go,lol.Im glad to hear they still have interest in their history,thats why Im trying to learn all I can.No one in my family can even speak the language anymore,the ones that could have all died off, and it wasent taught down as I feel it should have been.As a child ,an uncle still had a custume from `over there` as they called it,but I dont know where that is either, nor what it was worn for.We were from bozejov,and I may be wrong,but that is a small town in south bohemia. The pictures Ive seen ,it looks like a farming town,which is what my forefathers did when they got here,as well as became watermen. I must say that Im very proud to have czech blood,and I pray I can go there soon...... :D

4. Danny

Danny Member

During the reign of the communist regime, religion was opressed, because communism is an atheist philosophy - people attending church were considered suspicious and the secret police had eye on them.

Because of this the tradition was somewhat broken - I remember a friend of mine saying that he learned about religion from his grandmother and not his parents.

The situation is better now, but there is also an issue that some people distrust religious institutions - they are not really atheists, but they are not listed in any church or religious groups.

5. Oh wow. Glad I saw this. I was born and raised here in the deep south, Mississippi. My girlfriend was born and raised in Czech Republic. We've been talking more and more about moving to Czech Republic to help her mom with her restaurant business there. Since we've been together I've introduced her to my faith; Protestant specifically Bapist. Yes, it's very important here in the southern part of the USA. I too am wondering will there be a place where I can worship and fellowship with other Christians once I finally make the move to Czech Republic. My girlfriend too was saying that she remembered her grandparents worshipping but that was only in rural areas of Czech Republic. She's actually been more excited about learning about God and Jesus Christ but again I wonder how much of an influence it'll really have on her whenever we're in a predominantly atheist country.