info on Liberec

Discussion in 'Culture' started by iluvuma1, Sep 21, 2004.

1. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

Hello-

It appears that I will be moving/living to the Czech Republic in November. I am travelling back with my boyfriend who is from Liberec. I looked on the web for some information about this area. There is not much out there! Can someone give me an idea of how far it is from Prague? Is it a commutable distance if I chose to study in Prague? Are there any locals that can give me a description of what this area is like? Will I have trouble living here if I only speak English? And lastly- does anyone know of a school I could take Czech language lessons in this town?
    If there are any English speakers who live or know this area who would like to correspond, I would be grateful. I would like to establish a few connections so the transition is a bit easier for me! (and I am concerned about being lonely with my boyfriends' family since they only speak Czech) email:iluvuma1@yahoo.com

2. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

Well, I have never been to Liberec, but I have lived in Olomouc. If you can pick up some basic Czech you won't have too many problems living in the Czech Republic. However, it is great that you are looking for a school to take Czech lessons. If you do this, I am sure you will be able to pick up the language. How long are you staying in Liberec?

3. iluvuma1

Well, I have never been to Liberec, but I have lived in Olomouc. If you can pick up some basic Czech you won't have too many problems living in the Czech Republic. However, it is great that you are looking for a school to take Czech lessons. If you do this, I am sure you will be able to pick up the language. How long are you staying in Liberec?[/quote]

4. Emperor

Emperor Member

I know Czech from birth and learned English when I was 8.. Last year I took some Spanish as well, because of my Czech I was able to pick up the Spanish very quickly. I think that because of your Spanish, Czech will be easier, as pronunciations between Spanish and Czech is much closer than English and Czech.

5. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I just made a quick web search and found at least four schools offering "Czech for foreigners" ("čeština pro cizince") courses in Liberec itself. Here you are - one, two, three, four.

Don't worry about no English speakers at all. Many younger people (say 30 and less) had at least some English at school, as it is far most popular foreign language here.

Hope this cheers you up a bit :)

6. Frank_pivo_4

Frank_pivo_4 Well-Known Member

7. iluvuma1

In briefly browsing Czech words/sentences- I can't even pull a simple root like I can in Spanish. (ie: office, oficina; gracious, gracias, come in, entrar) Czech has me baffled. What is the root of it? It couldn't be Latin....

8. czechless

czechless Member

Liberec is great!!! Not too far from Poland, or Germany for that matter. It is close to Jablonec nad Nisou which is a cool town. It is close to the nature and you must visit Jested....the highest point in Czech Republic I believe. It is beautiful there with much German architectual influence....Sudetenland....Have great times for sure...it won't be hard there. By the way...there's a great library in Liberec!! Don't worry about language...that is the biggest fear and inhabition for people. Just try...most young people speak English and just think about how many millions of people live in USA that DO NOT speak english AT ALL! Peace:) :lol:

9. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

There's a great English pub in Liberec, I was there just this summer. It's called The Wishing Well and located in the centre, on Husova street. So if you can find noone else to speak English to, the owner of the pub will definitely help you out - he seemed to be a really helpful guy... um.. chap;)

10. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Liberce to Prague is ablut 100 km, approx. 1.5- 2 hours with auto

11. haukur

haukur Active Member

no worries, Liberec is simply fantastic. It has got everything you'll ever need and it's not too small and not too big. It's about 1-2 hrs from Prague by car and it's just simply amazing. Without a doubt one of my fav. cities. I'd say most people speak english there and german too(if that helps). As someone said before it's close to both germany and polland so it's a perfect place to live in if you like to take small trips. Also it's close to the Cesky Raj(Czech Paradise) which is a total nature's paradise. Well, I guess going by car to prague every day back and forth might be exhausting after a while...if you are to study in prague that is, but the city is so great that it would so be worth it.