ISO Czech Beer in America

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by bryan_baker, Oct 30, 2006.

1. bryan_baker

bryan_baker Member

I'm new to the boards. Ahoj!

I've heard from my Czech girlfriend's mom that Czech beer is the best in the world... what are some brands? Or Czech wines/liquors? Where can I buy them in Oregon, USA? There is a Safeway, Albertson's, Fred Meyer, and WinCo near close to where I live.

I'd like to get Jana (GF's mom) a nice gift for Christmas, and I thought she might like some authentic Czech beer. Thanks for the brand names!

Ciao (how do you spell Ciao in Czech?)
    Bryan

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Pilsner-Urquell and Staropramen are both widely imported in the US. P-U may be at Safeway et al, but you may want to check and see if there are any local, specialty beer shops (they may carry other Czech brands). BTW - your girlfriend's mom is right - Czech beer rules.

3. bryan_baker

bryan_baker Member

děkuji Glenn. I'll keep my eyes peeled for Pilsner-Urquell and Staropramen.

Any other good Czech beers out there?

My favorite new phrase...
    Dám si jedno pivo prosím.

also if you know... how do you pronounce skvělý? maybe a phonetic spelling would help :) thanks again Glenn

na shledanou

4. Usal

Usal Well-Known Member

Ahoj Bryan, I recently purchased a six pack of Czechvar and a six pack of Pilsner-Urquell at a grocery store here in Texas so there are some Czech beers that are easily found here in the states. I live about 10 miles from the Mexican border so I think I'm the only one that actually buys Czech beer here. :D

5. GlennInFlorida

How could I forget to mention Czechvar? Called Budvar in Czech Republic, it is the original Budweiser.

skvělý is pronounced sort of like skuh-vyeh-lee but tightened up so that it flows together nicely.

6. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Look for some stores that are owned by Europeans. They don't have to be Czech, just European. Here in a small Michigan town, there is a Lithuanian woman that owns a party store. She carries Czech Beer as well as Polish items and some other foreign items.

Best wishes in your search!

7. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

skvělý is pronounced "skvyelee" - the first part/syllable is pronounced as the first part of "squeeze", you just pronounce v instead of w.

8. GlennInFlorida

good explanation - I just thought "skvy" was too many odd (for an English speaker, anyway) consonants in a row so I tried to break it up a bit. Much like trying to describe a rolled "r" by saying "puh-dence of puh-dussia" (for prince of prussia) faster and faster until it approximates the sound.

9. bryan_baker

bryan_baker Member

Czechvar... can't wait to try it. Thanks for the help pronouncing Skvělý. It always gives Jana a good laugh when I say new Český words she hasn't heard me say before :)

How do I spell ciao in Český?
    děkuji
    Bryan

10. fabik317

čau (pronounced "chow", rhyming with "cow") is the closest equivalent

11. fabik317

Actually, it's "the closest" because equivalents are supposed to be equal:)

12. GlennInFlorida

ah yes... :wink:

BTW, speaking of Czech beer, if you get to the ČR, the brewery tour (Pilsner-Urquell) in Plzeň is worth a trip - good souvenirs too. The Staropramen tour and souvenir shop in Prague are really not worth the time.

13. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Howdy Bryan,

Sometimes also if you go to a gourmet store that carries European beers, wines, cheeses, crackers and the like you may be able to find Czech beers, or even wines. In my small touristy town there is such a shop. The owner has specially ordered Havlicek (pronounced Hav-li-check-I think :roll: ). Someone please correct me if I am wrong, and spell it with accents for this gentleman. When she orders it she orders it by the case. Since I can't buy an entire case at once she has said that other customers have boughten what she stores in the case, now she carries it all the time :D ! So maybe ask to have a gourmet shop order or start carring it, if you have a gourmet shop in your area. Now I want to go to store and buy beer and cheese :wink: .

gypzy

14. bryan_baker

bryan_baker Member

i'm going to school in a small town so finding a store selling european ANYTHING is impossible. i'll keep those names handy, and probably learn new ones when i study in brno.

thanks gypzy and glenn! Čao.

bryan

15. aminpraha

aminpraha Member

Is it my imagination????

I love Czech beer and when back in the States, I purchase the imported Czech beer - but it seems to taste so different, not as good. Is the imported beer truly imported or actually produced differently to meet different standards and US requirements? Or am I simply missing CZ and the difference in taste is psychological? :?

16. GlennInFlorida

I don't know that it is produced any differently but, bottled beer never stands up to draft and I'm sure the ambiance of drinking it in ČR has a lot to do with it too.