look out brno, here I come...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tradke, Aug 31, 2004.

1. tradke

tradke New Member

Hello, all. Glad to have found this site. I am headed to Brno in one week to study for the fall semester. I am a US grad student, studying (at least for now) Central Europe.

It sounds like it will be fun but also maybe hard to really make it feel like home. I will do my best to learn some Czech but I will will have to rely on any English speakers that I can find. I hope this does not mean that I will only meet expats.

I would love to hear from locals and expats about themsleves, about Brno about being a student, about Czech life and politics, or any damn thing else...

Cheers.
    Tom

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

What school are you going to? I'm at VUT, maybe I'll meet you :)

3. tradke

tradke New Member

Hi, Halef.

I will be at Masaryk. What is VUT, a technical school?

So, you are in Brno? What can you tell me?

I am trying to focus on school but, really, my mind is on tasting the local beers and wines, hearing live music, and talking life/politics with locals. Will this be a good town for me, do you think? Or should I stay in the library...? : )

tom

4. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Yes, Brno university of technology (nice name, isn't it :) ). I also spent some time on Masaryk, but it just did not work :)

Well, even in the library you can taste wine, beer or discuss with locals. At least the library I visit :)
    I think you will be fine in Brno. You can get as much live music as you want, there are music clubs and no week without a concert taking place somewhere. In my first year at VUT I lived right under a student music club. During the jazz festival, I resigned on sleeping and rather bought the tickets :)
    The best place for discussions is, of course, a pub. No problem to find one, Brno is, afaik, the city with most pubs per regular house in CZ :)
    As for the beer, there is also a large variety, from good old Pilsner to local specialities in Pegas brewery (wheat beer served with a slice of lemon, for example).

5. tradke

tradke New Member

That sounds great.

And, transportation? I know there is good public transportation (bus? tram?) and also that you can walk many places. Do people also ride bicycles? How about scooters/motorcycles? Is there a cheap brand of motorcycle for getting out into the country?

Thanks
    Tom

6. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Yes, the transportation system is excelent. There are trams, buses and trolley-buses, plus you can use some local trains with one ticket. You can get anywehere quite quickly. And Brno is not large, if you don't count the suburbs, you can walk from one end to other in, say, slightly more than an hour.
    People do ride bicycles, but it is not massive. Mainly becasue the town hall is not very supportive, so there are nearly no bicycle paths, and if oyu do not lock your bike properly, it will probably be stolen. Sometimes it is stolen even if you do lock it :)
    Scooters seem to gain some popularity recently, but I can be of little helop here, as I have no driving license.

7. kimarina

kimarina Member

ahoj!
    have you made it to Brno? I
    m an english gal who has been here a week, would be good to hook up with fellow eng speakers. i can also introduce you to the best way to learn czech - in a pub every tues with native speakers. do get in touch, my email - kimarina2001@yahoo.com
    ciao

8. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Hello All,
    My name is Sarah and I am originally from Canada. I am also living in Brno now because I am teaching at one of the nearby schools. I would love to meet some people to see the town with and to get to know. And I also do not know much Czech.
    If anyone wants to meet up and go out for a drink or something, please contact me at schmoo57@yahoo.com.