Looking for city of Drachov/Drahov-relatives

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Sharon, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Sharon

Sharon New Member

Hello, my grandfather's family was from Drachov, and he recently passed away. He had trouble remembering this city, but with the help of other relatives we figured it out.... are the above two the same or completely different cities? I visited Prague two years ago (and LOVED it!!) but no one could give me any information on the location. I did research it and it is in the Tabor region. Can anyone tell me about it? I am also looking for any members/friends of the Chajmovic family.....lived there up until the early 1950's....
    Also is there any city of "Ousti Nadlba" or something of the sort? My mom swears that is the name of place she was born. I am trying to locate any family we may have there.
    Any info? Thanks! Sharon

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Most probably, "Ousti Nadlba" is Ústí nad Labem... You can try some Czech browser, e.g. www.seznam.cz, type the name of the city and find a lot of information there.

3. Sharon

Sharon New Member

Thanks so much for the info- I will try that......Is Drachov and Drahov the same city ?The spelling is a bit different and when I tried to locate all of the web sites were in Czech and I couldn't read them.....
    I didn't expect to get a reply here- so I am really happy. Again, thanks!! :)

4. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

It's not the same village. The one is Drahov and the second is Dráchov. Here's the map.
    The villages are pretty close, the distance between them is 10 km.

5. Sharon

Sharon New Member

Thanks again! I guess now I will have to figure out exactly wich one it is... they sound similar....strange when I was in Prague, I asked the conceriege in the hotel if there was a town by this name and she said she would research and later told me there was no such place (I guess not everyone is helpful) but now I want to plan a return visit with my mom and , by the way, I did find Usti nad Labem, and I am going to set up the visit as a surprise. My mom thinks the place no longer existed..... :) Thanks again for being so helpful...you are such a great group!

6. Jedla

Jedla New Member

Hello Sharon. One friend of mine lives in village named Drachov. It is near from Tabor, where I live. If you want to, I can ask her to sniff out more about family of Chajmanovic. She works as a postman, so she is really close to people. I am also interesting in looking for my family history. You can contact me via the e-mail or ICQ. Jan