Looking for lonely women with high IQ

Discussion in 'Make a Connection' started by FierceKitty, Dec 27, 2004.

1. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

In my experience, people who boast thier intelligence are similar to people who claim to be good looking. They simply are not. Or they're reaching for acceptance.

"Its better to keep quiet and appear to be a moron than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Maybe so, in which case FierceKitty may have been better off saying that he is looking for a woman who shares his interests and is able and willing to have discussions about them. A lack of interest in classical music does not signify the lack of intellingence, education and intellect, or the inability to understand and appreciate the complexity of a composition.

Sorry to dig into that post again, but the above statement is simply asking for a reaction. Alexander, before most of us here start feeling unworthy and dull, you may want to indicate what you mean by an "intelligent conversation", for isn't that also somewhat subjective? As has been pointed out here before, you may just be looking for someone who can match your level of intelligence.

3. babicka

babicka Well-Known Member

Intelligence, education and intellect versus the wise. A truely wise person does not have the need to engage in endless chatter, whatever the subject.
    This does not mean that they do not have intelligence, that they are uneducated and/or that they lack intellect.
    In seeking someone with a way above average intelligence, one is significantly narrowing the field of prospective partners. Surely other factors should form part of that same equation, such has having similar interests, a nice and/or fun personality and having a caring nature etc. If you met someone with the latter qualities there is nothing stopping you from increasing their knowledge (in a nice way) of subjects that you both enjoy, so that eventually they could end up having nearly the same in depth knowledge of some of those same subjects as yourself.
    We already know that you have way above average intelligence and that you are a teacher, but what other qualities do you possess that would be attractive to someone else? You do not need to answer this question, but it is one that you should ask yourself. For example we know about the high expectations you require in a partner, but what do you think a woman may expect from you?

4. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Sova wrote:

>Interestingly enough, I have found that a disproportionate number of my physicist friends have musical talents as well. Read into that what you will--I won't draw any conclusions from it.<

The only conclusion is that high I.Q. does not exclude talent for music and musical talent does not guarantee high I.Q.

5. babicka

babicka Well-Known Member

Yes, Eva2, I totally agree with your final conclusion.
    My Czech father is a brilliant mathematician, and at a very young age whilst still living in Prague he had learnt all the grades in playing the piano and was an accomplished pianist. I also remember that during one visit to England, as he now lives in the States, he picked up my brother's electric bass guitar and started to immediately play that too when he had not played a guitar before.

In contrast, my brother, who is an excellent jazz musician, playing the double bass and, as mentioned above, the bass guitar, struggled when it came to learning mathematics.

May be it has something to do with having an analytical mind, which you definetly need in mathematics, as that same analytical mind could also quite easily be applied to music.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

A conservative conclusion, Eva2--one that I don't think anyone could dispute. Of course, anything less conservative might be considered going out on a limb.

7. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Sova:
    I admit I should have edited the word "only" because somewhere in the realm of physics, maybe at the level of atomic particles, is an equation linking physicists with music . When you work it out let me know. I stand in awe of science.

Regarding FirceKitty's request:
    What he really needs is a cultivated woman rather than a genius. Has he figured it out? I don't think we'll ever know: his silence indicates that he is catching mice elsewhere.

8. Yiannis_Greece

Yiannis_Greece New Member

Hey FierceKitty, I know some hot 4 digit IQ ladies called Pentium...less than 1500 euros the good ones, and lonely.... :) hope you find your mate :wink:

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Eva2:

Wave physics is used to describe sound-related phenomena: anything from pitch and overtones of musical instruments to harmony and dissonance to sonic booms on fast jets (sound obeys a wave equation). The only thing else I can think of (off the top of my head) is that one has to know things like sound speeds and densities in a given medium to determine reflection/transmission of waves, dissipation effects, etc., and these are usually (at least in practical applications) found by measuring them, rather than trying to calculate them from theory. (You asked for it!)

I would suggest, however, that this apparent tendency of physicists to be musically inclined is NOT related to their knowledge of such equations, but rather that most musically-inclined physicists learn music BEFORE ever having learned these equations. Hence, my comment that yours is perhaps the strongest possible conclusion anyone could draw from this information.

10. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Sova:

I'll answer that as soon as I work out the occurence of musical talent in a control group of garbage collectors. Until then you have one up on me. :lol:

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Good one, Eva! :lol: