Looking for Surname SAFARIK

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by gandoff82, Dec 27, 2005.

1. gandoff82

gandoff82 New Member

halo I am from usa and my last name is safarik i know it is from bohiama so i was wondering if anyone knows anything about it??? thank you.

william v safarik III

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

'Šafařík' is diminutive of 'šafář' (=bailiff, steward). It is relatively widespread family name in Czech Republic. Slovakian form of this word is 'Šafárik'.

3. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Wow, if your last name is "Šafařík" (probably it is, when written with using Czech letters)... - my mother's girl last name (I don't know how you say it in English - simply, her last name before marrying) was "Šafařík" (resp. "Šafaříková" - we have another form for female surnames :)) as my mother's father's last name is :D. However, I know nothing about my family tree and there is quite a lot of Šafaříks in CR...

4. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

we call it maiden name

5. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Thank you, Ruzete :)

6. gandoff82

gandoff82 New Member

all i know is that my great grand mother was from czech and all my family from my dads side was from NYC I am the third and i know that sometime my family came over to NY sometime! but i dotn know when or from where. I know it was from bohemia.

7. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Hmm, it can be quite difficult. In fact, I'm not kind of people wanting to know their family tree. All, what I know, is my parents, my grandparents and their closest sibs. I know nothing about my great-grandparents. Moreover, it's a bit complicated since genetically (I've remembered it now), my mother is not from the Šafařík "lineage", because her mother hadn't her with my grandfather, but with some man who left her when she was pregnant :? (fortunatelly, that time after that, she found my grandfather :)).