Lost!

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by kpointer, Mar 4, 2007.

1. kpointer

kpointer Member

My great grandfather was from Czech and he use to teach me how to speak the language when I was very young (maybe 4-7yrs). When he died so did my teacher of Czech. I'm trying to find out more about my history but this side of my family tree is no longer around. My mind is not so young anymoreas it's been over 40 years ago that I am trying to remember things about him. All I KNOW is his name was Frank Collins and he was my great grandfather and he taught me Czech when I was little(I can still see us in his room, him teaching me our culture) he lived in Czech when he was younger and he moved here and had a daughter(my grandmother Adeline)...They have all past many years ago and I feel lost on losing my culture and the lang I never got a chance to really learn. I remember I could speak really good. We had leasons every week when I can to visit my grandmother. (He lived with her by then) I know he told me where he lived & about Czech & his life there but I can't remember anything . I have been trying for 25 years to remember but nothing comes back. I not asking anyone for any help but I just need to explain my lostness...I've tried Ellis Island years ago, no luck. So I just want to have this site as my culture and lost family!

2. Leslee Green

Leslee Green Active Member

Are you looking for information here or in the Czech Republic? If here what state was he in and any dates for him.

3. kpointer

kpointer Member

I guess I would have to start here in Cicero,Illinois. The only dates I can come up with is my grandmother was born sometime around 1915 so he would have to of been born around 1890's. I am only working from my memory of when I was 5 years old. All members of this side of my family are no longer living.

4. kpointer

kpointer Member

I guess another thing I should state is the fact he told me I was Czechoslovakian. This would of been in the 1964-65ish. I don't know when he moved to the US but I think my grandmother was born in the US around 1915ish.

5. doman

doman Well-Known Member

It sounds sad your story ! As I know, Czechoslovakia existed from 1918 until 1992. Nowaday they are two seperate countries. And your great granfather name was Americanised... So, it will be more difficult to find out about your Czech source. But I thought a good thing you could do that be contacted with all kinds of information about Czech Republic as your country included contact with the Czech community in(or near) your area...The feeling losing culture will get easier... Wishing you to recall the memory about place your G.G.father had lived soon.

Mejte se dobre !

6. kpointer

kpointer Member

I wish this part was true but it's not...it's getting harder as I get older & wiser about what wealth I am losing and knowing I can not pass on that wealth to my grandchildren. But I thank you for your kindness.

7. kpointer

kpointer Member

You also say his name is Americanised, which I figured it was...So "Frank" would be Frantisek but what could "Collins" be? I searched Ellis Island but none of them are him.

8. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Hello
    this is what I wanted to say, but You were faster.
    Your great grandfather changed his name. It looks like he was František, but Collins ..... maybe Kolínský :?:
    Do You remember any words from Czech language?

9. kpointer

kpointer Member

No I don't remember anything...it's been over 40 years since I last spoke Czech. He was the only one that spoke the language...that is why he was teaching me, so I could carry it on to the next generations. I shop at Polish Marts in Chicago and feel so lost & out of place when I know I shouldn't. :(
    My mother's side is Polish so I have some of the old recipes from my great grandmother with dumplings, pork & deserts that have been past down.

10. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I took a Czech class at this school:

T G Masaryk Czech School
    5701 W 22nd Pl
    Cicero, IL
    (708) 656-9810

The teacher was an Elderly czech man who came to the States several years ago. The class was only $20 for the whole term. Not only could you learn Czech there, but perhaps the teacher can offer you some advice on finding your heritage. At this point, are you sure your great-grandfather was teaching you Czech or maybe even Slovak. Do you know if the was Moravian or Bohemian?

This school can also make you aware of the several Czech events that take place in the area. These events are always filled with Elderly people. Perhaps you will be able to speak with some of them and they may be of assistance. I hope this helps.