Make Friends in Prague

Discussion in 'Make a Connection' started by Klaus, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Klaus

Klaus New Member

Hi, I´m 28 year old boy from Portugal, i´ll be arriving Prague next month, and i would like to correspond with some Czech boys and girls just to change opinions, cultural intercourse and find out more of your beautiful country.Thanks

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Glenn, don't comment on this one. :wink: :wink:

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Man, dzurisovak, you were thinking about the same thing I was! (although I decided just to sit back and wait for the hammer to drop). :wink:

For Klaus, who may not have followed this line of thinking, you must understand that in English (at least American English, as I'm not qualified to speak for the Brits/Aussies/etc.), the word "intercourse" is usually reserved for a certain <ahem> "activity" between a man and a woman (Is that delicate enough, dzurisovak? Is it too vague?). Rather, in your case, I think you mean "cultural interchange" or "cultural discourse/dialogue."

4. dzurisova

That's pretty delicate Sova. However, the way Klaus phrased it, it also made it appear that there is an interest in exploring activity with other genders as well. :twisted:

Sorry Klaus, I'm sure that is not what you meant. It's just the perverted minds of Americans that can find a way to turn everything into trash talk! :twisted: :twisted:

We need help! :lol:

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I won't say a word... :shock:

I'm sure Klaus will be able to make some great friends in Prague - lots of nice people there.

6. gippo

gippo Member

Hy everydody!!

I think what klaus said it's not so bad and tryng to have fun and looking for new friends is the only reason we are here in this forum.
    So i'm italian and my english is not so good and i'm here just for searching, learning and meeting.

7. dzurisova

I agree, we are just poking fun at how things can be easily misinterpreted. :lol:

My family has fun with me as well when I use the wrong czech words. Like the time I called my husband "tlusty kava" instead of "tlusta krava" :wink: They laughed and called me "vole"! It's all in good fun!

8. doman

doman Well-Known Member

Hehe :D Its interested ! But in my case was more worst, I wanted to buy onion, that I went to OBCHOD and asked for a kilo of "tyvole" ! Ofcourse the lady who sold vegetables was angry with me ! Poor me that time ! I couldnt realize the Big difirent bettween Cibule a Tyvole. And in the next time, I didnt speak what I wasnt sure anymore. Id showing my finger to that I wanted to buy ! But the word"Cibule" will stay with me till the day I say so long to the world :D :D
    By the way, what is tlusty kava ? Is coffee with cream or row milk?

9. dzurisova

Your story is very funny.

Tlusty is fat, the male form of fat. I was trying to call him a fat cow (he's very skinny so it was ironic) and I said fat coffee instead of fat cow. Also, I guess you can't call a man a cow in cesky because cow is female so you have to call him a bull (vole); which is why he laughed and called me vole.

Now, just to rub sand into the wound, he calls me a "fat coffee" and then laughs like a cow. :wink:

(in American English, we use cow to say someone is doing something big such as eats like cow - eats a lot; fat cow - very fat; laughs like a cow -a big or loud or long laugh)

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Precisely! Only a little detail - the Czech word for a bull is býk, vůl is ox. The difference is very important in Czech, your husband could be rather pleased being addressed as býk. :D

11. doman

doman Well-Known Member

You don't have to guess because you're right , Pani Dzurisovakova ! :D ! But something difirently is calling someone Cow in Czech is pretty bad :D , but Ty vole you can hear everywhere...I guess that word has the same useful as d*mn, or sh*t in English. But that word is more nicer than much of other languages in the same situation of useful, even in Vietnamese. We are always in Languages accidents :D :D but sometimes, very funny...

12. dzurisova

I'll be sure to keep that in mind! :lol:

Good one! :lol: Goodness, Amercans thought Dzurisova was a crazy long name, one of the reasons I droped it to Dzuris. Just imagine if it were Dzurisovakova! :shock: :D

13. Klaus

Klaus New Member

I shall say that i´m not at this forum to find a date or something of a kind! it´s funny to make friends, to talk with persons from different cultures.. it´s going to be my first time in Prague, i have friends that gone there and they were marvelled by it´s culture and friendship of the people. My purpose here is just a cultural intercourse. Thkx

14. doman

doman Well-Known Member

:) 8) Was I wrong? Sorry ! :oops: My mind is stiffness, because your name is very Slavic, very Cesky, and you are a lady, therefore your name must be ended with a or ova...Its cement :lol:

You're welcome Klaus ! Czech is really beautiful country ! And about Czech people, Hmmmm.... I just say that I'm still loving them even they dislike me, hm... :D :D :D

15. wer

wer Well-Known Member

You were confused by the k, the -ák reminds Slavic male suffix, but in fact, the k comes from first name. And BTW, Dzuriš(ová) definitely doesn't sound Czech.

16. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Name of my work colleague is Pflimpflová.
    How do you like it? :)

I know girl named Petriščáková, too. ;)

17. doman

doman Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wer !

18. doman

doman Well-Known Member

:lol: :D :D We like it much ! I am from a monosyllabic speaking country, and do you know how I was surprised with this word nejnezpravděpodobnostňovávatelnějšími
    :roll: :D

19. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

A very good example of the difference between English/English and American/English! In E/E, it would be a 'fat pig' fs some one eats a lot and while you would have to be careful who you said it to, you could say it in jest and it might not be too offensive.

However, to call someone a 'fat cow' would not be considered to be anything to do with how much a female was eating but more to do with the fact that a) she was literally fat and b) she's a cow - a nasty, horrible person!

20. dzurisova

Yes you were confused by the K. My first name being Katka. Dzuriš is not a czech name but slovak. My husband is 1/2 czech and 1/2 Slovak, his dad being from Slovakia. However, my husband grew up in Ceský Budjovice so his loyalities lie with the CR. He says he is Czech even though he is actually a true Czech-o-slovakian. :lol: