May I please have help with a very small translation?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by parisprague, Jan 11, 2009.

1. parisprague

parisprague New Member

Hello, I received a Christmas card that reads the following:

Hitel bic jste vanocé
    to ye hezky v vesely v velky.
    Mash dobre vanocé
    edeme spolu

It was written by someone who is learning how to speak czech, I would REALLY, REALLY appreciate any help, many thanks!

:)

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It's very broken Czech.
    Generally it seems like Christmas greeting.

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

At least an attempt:

Hotel??? <something> you are Christmas (???)
    this is nice in(?) marry in(?) great.
    You have nice Christmas
    go togeher (???)

Sorry it doesn't make much sense :). Maybe you added some errors while writting it down from the card to computer. If you can scan and post the original picture, it might help.

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Another possible translation (with corrections):

Chtěl bych ti [přát] Vánoce
    [které] je hezké a veselé a velké.
    Měj dobré Vánoce.
    Jedeme spolů ...

I would like [to wish] you a Christmas
    [that] is well/nice and merry (note the "e", Alexx) and great/large.
    Have a good Christmas.
    We are going together ... (where, I'm not sure)

5. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Zpětné dešiforovaní a velká představivost.
    Jsi asi takový kód dešifirovačka.

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Whoops :) sry. What a misleading typo :)

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Code cracker? I don't know. Although once upon a time (several years ago), I forgot my online banking password, only to find that one of the local .ini files on my computer contained an "encrypted" version of the password, which I promptly cracked. The "encryption" consisted of shifting the ASCII code of each letter by a fixed number and displaying the text in another alternative-character font set (specifically, Cyrillic). :roll: And yes, I did write my bank about that one. :x

... and yes, I DO have a vivid imagination. :wink:

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, I would probably changed bank after this experience :)

"Shift" cipher was Julius Caesar's invention :)

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Off-topic, but I wonder how many people in the US is able to read text in Cyrillic. What do you think?

Heh, like ten years ago I wrote program to crypt text files using very advanced form of JC's cypher, and I considered those crypted files very safe. After several years I took a class "Cyphers and Cryptography", and after few lessons I realized how foolish it was from me, as I was able to crack my "safe" files in few minutes.

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

It wasn't quite internet banking as we know it now, but rather "online" meaning via direct modem link, so the computer had to have the bank's software installed, dial into an unlisted phone number, not to mention having the account name and number. Not a well-thought-out security plan by any stretch of the imagination, but definitely not as suicidal a business practice as doing the same over the open internet. ... not to mention that I had an outstanding car loan with that bank (actually a credit union) at the time. :?