More verbs! + forming the negative

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by miffy, Oct 27, 2006.

1. miffy

miffy Member

Could someone please tell me if I have written these verbs out correctly? Followed the pattern 'I know, you know, he/she knows' etc.

To form the negative ('I don't know, you don't know, he/she doesn't know') you always simply add the prefix ne- ?

Are there any established rules for knowing when a word changes when it is negative, for example neni (the negative of on/ona je 'he/she is', as opposed to 'neje')?

Finally, are there any rules for knowing when a verb meaning 'they [do something]' will mirror the one meaning 'he/she [does something] or have a different form? For example (On, ona) uči, (Oni) uči (he/she teaches, they teach), compared with (On, ona) čte, (Oni) čtou.

I hope my post makes sense, please forgive my questions as I'm just a beginner. I really hope one day I can answer questions instead of always just asking :roll:

2. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

uměti: umím, umíš, umí, umíme, umíte, umějí
    rozuměti: rozumím, ...
    vařiti: vařím, vaříš, vaří, vaříme, vaříte, vaří

3. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Basically yes. But nothing goes easily in the Czech language. In some cases you need change the aspect of the verb.

Examples:

Sedni si! Nesedej si! (sednout si vs. sedat si)

4. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

AFAIK není is the only exception:

on/ona/ono je - on/ona/ono není (he is - he is not)

5. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

All verbs with the thematic vowel -i- and all non-derived verbs with the thematic vowel -e- (-ě-) in the infinitive stem have such kind of homonymy.

prosit: on prosí - oni prosí

trpět: on trpí - oni trpí

But I do not think it will help you much.

6. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Well don't forget about NIC: co něco nic

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I think only the negation of verbs was questioned, wasn't?

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Oh ok sorry. I thought miffy was asking about general irregular negations. In my mind it was just another thing I had to remember. Instead of the usual: kdy někdy nikdy or kde někde nikde it was co něco and NIC. Not to mention jaký nějaký žadný

Just more of those irregularities to throw off those of us learning the language. :wink:

9. miffy

miffy Member

Děkuji mockrát!