Moving

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Claire 123, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Claire 123

Claire 123 Guest

Hi There,

I am moving to the Czech republic in March of next year. I will be moving to Louny which I believe is 20 minutes from Prague. Unfortunatly I don't speak any Czech but hope to start getting classes when I move over.
    I am hoping to meet up with English speaking people when i get over there. Can anyone recommend and good bars/clubs or cafes where I might easily meet english speaking people.

Any help welome. Thanks

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Hi, Claire, welcome.

Louny (it's plural) are rather about one hour from Prague by car.

3. Claire 123

Claire 123 Guest

Hi Eso,

Thank you for the reply. :D :arrow:
    Can you recommend any good clubs and bars.

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I don't know Louny very well.
    It's relatively small city.

5. Claire 123

Claire 123 Guest

Is there anywhere between Prague and Louny that I could live?
    Can't wait to move, even though I am slightly nervous. Where do you live?

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I live in Kladno and work in Prague.

HERE IS MAP - Louny are up and left, Prague is down and right

7. Louny is an old, historical city, less then an hour NW from Prague. It was, until about 5 yrs ago, a seat of "okres" (say a county) local government, to the great dismay of nearby citu of Zatec (another 10 miles further west, itself a Royal City since 1004 and "world capital of beer hop industry, known mostly under its German name Saatz). - The city has architecturally significant church with uniqes roof outlines and structure, medieval fortress walls and nice and freshly upkept city square. - As it is rather small town (what, about 16 000 inhabitants?) I would consider offering of choicy pubs there to be anything close to Prague, etc. One nice, old era (between the wars) pub, actually at the same space with a movie theatre entry, is right against the said main church (the name escaped me, but it is again right accross from said church entry into a "must see" lookout tower. - Expat of English-speakong community is (I would say, checking extensively on Zatec in recent past, not so much on Louny) rather small (miniscule) as one would expect. What might help Louny and the county is a huge Japanese investment (a consortia of 3 companies, Hitachi, Toshiba, Panasonic) which started to build some flat, plasma etc. monitor plant in Zatec and which should in 2007 bring up to 2000 new jobs, also "flooding the European 2007 Christmas flat screen market" with its production. Subsequently, another 2000 jobs from yet amother factory by Hitachi only. Both these monsters are to be in the so-called Triangle, industrial zone in the place of stut-down military airport (where Soviet MIGs, manned by Czech pilots, waited in undeground ports for Cold War commands to take off and meet NATO/US planes coming from teh West:) --- Outside of or instead of pubs, bars I would be looking at one of the best BIKING opportunities in the area. The landscape has about a dozen of nice volcano-shape mountains and hills popping up from the plains. One hill just ioutside of Louny (Rovna?) is well known and use for rogalo flying (gliders). --- Bus transportation to Prague ("Paris of the 90s") is reasonably frequent, nice busses and cheap, I gues about Kc 38 (or about $1.40 OW). --- I don't know what brings you to moving to Louny, how long you might be there, how much you want (or don't want) to get involved in local life, interacting with Czechs, etc. If I would know more or if you have some questions, let me know. Sidney (or Zdenek in Czech).

8. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cool place to live! 8) 8)

9. Claire 123

Claire 123 Guest

Hey Sidney,

Thanks for all the informaion. Sounds cool. Our new factory is based is being built there at the moment. Think there is a change of plan and I will be living slightly closer to Prague.

Animal- You like hunting. Love to try it sometime

10. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member