Need a little help please:)

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by thebig C, Apr 30, 2009.

1. thebig C

thebig C Well-Known Member

Hey Ctyri :)

4 paragraphs on grammer. I would never have guessed you were a teacher :lol:

I am Irish too....so your Gailge lesson brought back bad memories from school!!

So, where are you based in Cz? Whats it like living there?

Thanks for the advice about the Czech girl....unfortunately I can't forget her....she has left footprints all over my heart :cry:

C

2. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

I'm in Třebič, it's nearish to Brno.

I like it here a lot! I think it suits Irish people, I think we're quite similar to Czechs, (in both the good and the bad) except that Czechs are less violent, you don't hear of them getting in fights outside of pubs. And of course both nationalities have a flat part at the back of our heads, (near the top)

For the most part people are just as polite, just as grumpy, just as inclined to complain (but dislike people who feel they have more a right to complain than anyone else) less patriotic (not patriotic at all for the most part ) and have a very similar sense of humor.
    There are also just as many racists and lunatics who think it's reasonable to shout at strangers in the street. But as we're from "the west" and not Asian or tanned we don't have to worry about this. :roll:

I like life here! I am coming back next year, and then the year after I think I'll move to Prague.. mostly because I have fallen in love with Czech, my heart is very much in Vienna, but I'll never feel this way about German!

3. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Hey Čtyři,
    Interesting to hear you say this. I have travelled to Europe quite a bit and my two favorite cities are Prague and Vienna. But there is something special about Prague and the Czech language that seems to be missing in Vienna. I'm glad to know I am not the only one who thinks that way.

-René z Floridy

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

If you think that Czech language is missing in Vienna, you don’t know Vienna for real. :wink:

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

he means it is the "something special" that is missing in Vienna, not the Czech language... :wink:

6. Ctyri koruny

I heard a few Czech tourists in Vienna, and one of the ladies working in the hostel i stayed in was Czech.. I was too shy to say anything about it though hee hee. But you know that you'll have difficulty getting anyone to speak to you in anything other than English in Vienna, not a problem here!

there are so many places I'd like to live, Prague, Vienna, Paris, Russia, Korea... I keep acting as if i only have a few years in which to do it though, i just have this feeling like the curse of falling in love and getting married could hit me at any moment and put an end to all my travels and adventures.

7. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

A hundred years ago Vienna was probably the biggest Czech city in the world (maybe after Prague). The Czechs and Moravians lived mainly in the quarter named Wieden (hence Vídeň for Vienna in Czech). Now all the former Czechs speak German. But the Czech language is living in their surnames. Remeber all these Klestils, Vranitzkys, Lischkas, Wopitschkas, and so on.

8. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Vienna is lovely, I've been there a couple of times. But as Glenn understood from my previous post, the "something special" that I have found in Prague seems to be missing in Vienna :wink:

9. thebig C

Hey

I looked up Trebic, it looks beautiful, I can see why you like it::)

C

10. thebig C

Can anybody tell me how to say:

"I think I must have met someone with a similar name, who worked in Ireland also"

in Czech:)

Thanks

C

11. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Myslím, že jsem určitě potkal někoho s podobným jménem kdo taky pracoval v Irsku.

12. thebig C

Thanks so much Karel! :)

What is the feminine version of that?

C

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Myslím, že jsem určitě potkala někoho s podobným jménem kdo taky pracoval v Irsku.

14. Ctyri koruny

But did he mean female version as in if I'm talking to a female or the female version if I am a female?

So this is interesting for me,

Just pracovala if he was talking to a female, or would anything else change?

15. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

That's a good question Čtyři.
    I think it refers to the subject. The speaker is female.

Potkal jsem někoho s podobným jméno jako ty, kdy jsem pracoval v Irsku.

Potkal jsem Janu v parku v neděli.
    Ona mě potkala, když jsem běhal kolem jezírky za kostelem, které je totíž něco, co dělám každé ráno.
    Spojila mě a společně jsme běželi parkem. Po chvíli jsme uviděli liného Petra, který spal v trávě u potomka. Ryba tahala na jeho rybařský prut, ale neuvědomal si to. Rozhodli jsme se ho nevzbudit.
    Připomínalo nám americký roman Dobrodružství Toma Sawyera.

That may be wrong.

16. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Myslím, že jsem určitě potkal někoho s podobným jménem, kdo také pracoval v Irsku. ... the speaker is a male

Myslím, že jsem určitě potkala někoho s podobným jménem, kdo také pracoval v Irsku. ... the speaker is a female

kdo in the last clause requires masculine ... kdo pracoval

Myslím, že jsem určitě potkal ženu s podobným jménem, která také pracovala v Irsku. ... the speaker is a male, the person who worked in Irland is a female

17. thebig C

:D Thanks Alexx

18. thebig C

Yeah...I meant iof the speaker is female:))

19. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I have to admit I also thought, at first, you are meaning female to be the person working in Ireland. In this case the original sentence would not change at all and will remain correct.

20. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

In future, to avoid misunderstandings, wouldn't it be better to post the question as follows?

How do you say in Czech "I think I (male) must have met someone with a similar name, who (female) worked in Ireland also" :wink: