Need help with Czech menu

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Mary Louise Lula, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Eva:

Thank you for the recipe. I can appreciate your time in this, because I too have been going thru recipes to try and find something. I've come to the conclusion. We Czech's can't cook without meat, caraway seeds, marjoram or lard (butter)!!! :D

I did find one recipe for a potato/mushroom casserole, but felt that might be too heavy with and more starch than we need. We are having dumplings for both the pork and cabbage and the chicken paprika.

I will try your recipe and see how it works out.

Thank you again.

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

And what about Květák zapečený se sýrem (Cauliflower au gratin)? It is not heavy at all and it used to be a popular summer dinner or lunch with new boiled potatoes and cucumber salad.

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Eva, just for clarification: 500g is 1.1 pounds, not 1/2 pound. One of these days, we Americans will make the switch to metric, but not any time soon.

4. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Good point, Sova. I should have realized my mistake. :oops:

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

It's understandable, Eva. If NASA scientists can make that kind of a mistake with a multimillion dollar space probe ... (OUCH!)

6. We are adding the cauliflower au gratin, potatoes and cucumber salad to our menu.

Thanks so much for all of your help on this. Here's hoping we successfully introduce some Czech culture to our neighbors.

In addition to the great food, we have been able to obtain two Czech folk costumes (male and female), I am providing some beautiful Bohemian dinnerware and glasses, along with a large bowl for display. We will have various types of Czech music playing, and have put together centerpieces consisting of flowers you would find in the Czech countryside. The menu will be written in Czech with an English translation, and a Czech flag will be proudly on display. And of course, we will have Czech beer (Pivo)!!

Regarding the Czech music, my co-chair for this event has been in contact with the son of the man who wrote the Beer Barrel Polka, and is a Czech musician also. In addition to this type of music, we also have some beautiful classical and jazz music.

Again, thank you.

7. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

And when is the event? I hope you'll let us know how it was. Good luck!

8. The event is taking place on Saturday April 30.

With the help from all of you, I know this will be a success.

We had a walk thru of the banquet room and facilities last night, and have submitted the menu. There are a couple of possible changes, but we are fairly well set. I am now looking for videos of the Czech Republic to show on the TV screens that are througout the banquet room.

Things are coming together!!

9. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

I suspect I speak for many on this list when I say, "I wanna come to the party!" :D

This sounds like a wonderful event and we're all looking forward to hearing how it went.

Susan

10. I will send an open invitation for all of you. If you can get to Pittsburgh on April 30th, you are welcome as my guests to join us. Just a word of warning. If you have experiences from the "home land", we just might ask you to say a few words. :D

Just let me know.

Mary Louise