New girl from Belgium

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sweettangerine, May 12, 2005.

1. sweettangerine

sweettangerine New Member

Hello y'all!

Just wanted to get to know the others here and maybe make some friends who can help me learn Czech :) After postponing for far too long, I finally started learning a few days ago; beginning with the pronunciation and vocabulary at this sire. And although I do know a little Russian, I already have to admit that Czech is far from easy!

So where are you all from? Greetings, Tania

2. anu

anu Well-Known Member

hi tanja! i'm from switzerland and started to learn czech two weeks ago. i learned russian several years and though it helps me a little with some words, it's also confusing because of the writing (when i talk czech i see the words written in cyrillic). i agree with you, czech is difficult: declensions, conjugations - the whole program, and then these long syllables without stress are sooo tricky!
    so good luck with your studies :lol:

3. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Hi Tania :D ,
    Oooh Belgium... I love everything about that country and its people. I stayed in Leuven last year, and passed through Antwerpen. It is so beautiful - the country and its people.
    I myself am from Brisbane, Australia and I also am learning the Czech language. It would be wrong to say that it is easy, but I am learning it day by day, memorising random words etc.
    Anyway, welcome to the forums :D ,
    Jason

4. sweettangerine

Thank you Anu and Jason....

Talking about the urge to write Czech words in Cyrillic! I am also fighting with it. It almost happens unconsciously :) Glad I am not the only one! What source do you use to learn Czech? I will now go through the locallingo pages and then buy a self study book on my trip to Prague next week.

Jason, I am pleasantly surprised you liked Belgium. Often people find it just a dull rainy country. Too me Australia seems very appealing, relaxed and sunny. I hope to make some extensive travels there one day!

Thanks for making me feel welcome!

5. FierceKitty

FierceKitty Well-Known Member

Is your home language Flemish or French? I'd be interested in practising the first a little.

6. sweettangerine

Kitty - it is Flemmish. So if you need any help, feel free to ask!
    Greetings, Tania

7. FierceKitty

Groete dan, en ek hoop ek klink nie te belaglik nie; ek het nooit Vlaams geleer nie, maar Afrikaans is my tweede taal. Kan Mejuffrou vir my mooi verstaan?
    Alexander.

8. anu

anu Well-Known Member

hi tanja!
    i'm working on an express course-book german-czech... the grammar is basic and there's a good cd (people speak quite "normally" on it - if you understand, what i mean :wink: ) i also bought a small tourist-book with useful sentences (like: does anyone here speak german?! or: could you speak slowly, please? :lol: )

why do you learn czech? i'd like to ask jason the same question. i'm learning it, because i'm going to prague for this summer. i like the language, its sounds and melody.

grĂ¼ess!

9. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Hi Anu,
    I am learning the Czech language primarily because I love the language. The way it sounds and the difference in grammar and sentence structure just intriques me to learn more. Another reason for why I am learning it is because even though I am not to visit CR until 2006, I want to learn as much as I can so that when I go there, I can talk and associate with the locals in their dialect.
    Jason

10. FierceKitty

Why do phrasebooks always contain directions on how to ask "Do you speak German(English...)?"? If the answer's "yes", you don't need to ask it in Hantec or Ruthenian or Htin or Yoruba, and if it's "no" you haven't gained much by asking, have you?

11. anu

anu Well-Known Member

well... i just think it's more polite to ask in the local language. if the czech you're talking to doesn't speak german, at least he understands the question you're asking... and maybe he knows someone who speaks german :lol:

12. FierceKitty

Point taken. But I'd rather have more essential politeness like "Sorry, I didn't know it was rude to stare at another man's camel in this country" or "Pardon me, your kimono is dangling in my chawan mushi, and please don't commit sepukku at this remark, I'm really not offended".

13. anu

anu Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

would you recommend any specific phrases for the czech republic?

14. anu

anu Well-Known Member

i regret that i won't be able to talk with locals in their language... have you ever been to the czech republic, jason? and what about literature? literature is also a good reason to learn a language, i think.