New Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by General Joy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. General Joy

General Joy Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board. I'm in the very, very preliminary stages of learning Czech. :) I'm a writer, and need to know a bit of the language for story research. But I'm also interested in all things Czech because it's part of my heritage...my great-grandfather was from Jedomelice, Bohemia. Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Wow! It's nice to have a published author in the forum (just please don't critique our writing styles too harshly :) ) . Welcome!

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Take a look at the blue language bar towards the top of this page - it has basic phrases and links to other resources.

If you have any specific requests, I'm sure someone here will be glad to help.

4. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Welcome General Joy.
    Looking forward to your posts.

5. Zik

Zik Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome! :wink:
    It's maybe not easy to learn Czech, but I think it's not impossible. For example scrimshaw is from the USA, too, and he speaks Czech very well.

Enjoy your learning! :wink:

6. General Joy

General Joy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Don't worry, Sova--I think everyone else will be critiquing ME! (and my Czech, but that's good) :D

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Michal (Zik),

you have a remarkable resemblance to Masaryk :shock: :wink:

8. Zik

Zik Well-Known Member

I regrettably don't, I don't look so wisely and dignity! :wink:

There is really T. G. Masaryk in the picture. I chose it, because he was an admirable person and he made much for Czechoslovakia.

9. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Zik, I too wanted to choose Masaryk for my picture since he was the "Father of Czechoslovakia" as George Washington is the "Father of America" (the US of A actually) and you are correct, he made much of what was Czechoslovakia. However, you have chosen him, so I could not. The Czech constitution, modeled after the US Constitution, was mostly his doing.

Actually, my mother knew Masaryk and his family.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

My grandmother played as child with future communist president Antonin Zapotocky (which unfortunately wasn't so contributing as Masaryk :)

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

General Joy, welcome :)

12. Zik

Zik Well-Known Member

Yes, Masaryk was really ,,Father of Czechoslovakia". And Washington made much of things for the USA - but I think there are other heroes, too.
    For example general MacArthur and other persons.

13. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Vítám vás! :D :D

14. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Zik. I agree, but I compared Masaryk to Washington becasue they were both involved in the formation of their respective nations. Yes there were many others in each country, but each of these two men stands out as a prime mover and shaker in their formation of their country and each was the first president of each country.

15. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

Yes I too like the picture of Marasyk, where was the Czech constitution written. I ask this because the american constitution was wrote in Caius college in Cambridge England where I used to live. I found this strange as the USA was at war with England.
    Also hello to the writer, what do you write, fiction, fact, journalism or what.
    Oh and if your still there hows the research going.
    I wish I could pick up some of the Czech language it's so different to the usual German, French or Italian taught at school.

16. Erikazg

Erikazg New Member

Ahoj to everybody

I'm new on the board and I'm writing from Croatia. My family roots are from Czech, and I'm emotionally connected to Czech, I have family in Plzen as well. I'm married, 30 years old and I would be more than glad If I'll got an opportunity to learn Czech from you, cause' my Czech get rusty.

Thanking in advance.

Hezký den!,
    Erika
    :D