newbie here..please help with translation

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by hockeygirl_leafs07, Jan 31, 2003.

1. hockeygirl_leafs07

hockeygirl_leafs07 Active Member

this is a short interview of one of my favourite hockey players but I can't understand czech. Could someone please help?
    Here's the link

http://www.rozhlas.cz/radiozurnal/portal/_zprava/10945

I've tried using a dictionary and a on-line translator but they don't work! I'm studying German and Spanish now, and can speak French, English, Cambodian but I don't think I could handle learning a sixth language but czech sounds pretty cool. So who knows maybe I'll start learning it too. I just know Czech is gonna be really difficult to learn. BTW how similar is the czech and polish languages?

2. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

Hi hockeygirl,

we usually don't translate longer texts at myczechrepublic.com because they are of no use for others. But in this case I make an exception because somebody else might be interested in the interview.
    I'll try to translate it although both English and Czech are not my native languages. I only write the questions, not the commentary of the administrator. So here it is:

guest 1: Karel, how do you remember this year's play off against Sparta and the first game at your home?

Karel: The first game I didn't see because I had to go to the cabin (changing room) early and I only heard the reactions of the spectators if somebody made a goal but I didn't know how it ended; and that we lost only told me the boys who were coming from the ice.

guest: But the best [scenes] you've certainly seen on video...

Karel: I already don't remember much, but it was a competition full of emotions. They gave us four goals but, of course, there were some good ones...

guest: Do you think that (this year's) title is in the right hands?
    [...]

Karel: Vsetín was victim of the best [players] last season so they certainly deserve the title. Next season the title will of course end with Sparta because they have the strongest team at the moment.

guest: Karel, do you know the SC Kolín?

Karel: If you mean the hockey club, yes. I also know some (boys) who are playing there and I myself have already played against them several times.

guest: yes, I meant the hockey team. Thanks for the answer and the Kolin players wish you that, next season, you will fulfill what you expect.

Karel: Thanks for the wish. I say hello to all Kolin players. I have been there also for the Kmochuv festival. :)

-end-

Maybe you decide to learn Czech one day.
    Polish and Czech are quite similar, although pronunciation and words can be different. But they belong to the same language group (West Slavonic languages) and are closer than Russian and Czech.

3. hockeygirl_leafs07

hockeygirl_leafs07 Active Member

thank you so much for the translation. I tried translating it myself but it didn't work out well.