Old Czech from Manhattan just saying "HI"

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Steindler63, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Steindler63

Steindler63 New Member

Hi all,

I just found these forums and decided to look around. I used to live in NYC years ago and worked as the bartender in Ruc Restaurant on 72st East Side.

I came to the US from Czechoslovakia with my parents when I was 4. Joined the U.S. Navy from 1985-2005. Now I reside in Newport, RI. and visit NYC when ever I get a chance.

I still understand Czech pretty well (In my opinion) but sound kind of goofy when I try to speak it. As far as reading Czech...well, like my typing...about 25 words a minute LOL

Well, there's my introduction. Going to read some posts. Have a nice day all!
    :lol:

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Welcome! You'll find all sorts of people here: Czech emigrés like you, ex-pats in the Czech Republic (like me :D ), Czechs in the Czech Republic and visitors to the country both habitual and first-timers. But you'll see that what everyone has in common is a love of the country and a willingness to offer helpful and constructive advice and comment.

3. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Steindler63 - We knew the Ruc Family VERY well. During the summers, their children would come to upstate New York and stay with us for the summer. My sister, who lives in NYC often sees the younger son since he lives near her.

We had many an excellent Czech meal at the restaurant, although my mother was a supurb Czech cook and I think was the best Czech cook I knew.

When we visited NYC, we often stayed with them and with Frantisek (don't know if you knew him). He was a baker in CSR and escaped like we did.

Welcome.

4. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Welcome from hot Palm Springs! :)

5. Steindler63

Steindler63 New Member

Hi Stepan,
    I remember Gary and Alan Ruc very well. So Alan still lives in NYC? Do you know what Gary is up to? I've lost touch since I moved from NY. I went back to the Ruc location to find the old neighborhood brownstones gone. Big apartment building now takes up the whole corner. Do you by chance know Paul Steindler?

I think my mom would give your mom a run for her money. My parents moved to Kansas not too long ago. When we visit them for the holidays, I plan to bring back a cooler of her Czech cooking :)

6. Steindler63

Steindler63 New Member

Thanks for the welcome :D

7. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Vítám vás