Phrase on Prague subway and trams

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Daniela Marie, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Daniela Marie

Daniela Marie Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me the exact phrase that is said (or used to be said, I don't know if it still is) on Prague subway and/or trams when the doors were about to close? It was something like "Ukoncete vystup a nastup, dvere se zaviraji". I was talking about it with a friend yesterday and was wondering what the exact phrase was. Thanks a lot!

2. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member

3. Wicker808

Wicker808 Well-Known Member

Yvan, unless I've misunderstood, Daniela Marie is not asking for a translation, but would simply like to know the exact phrase used in the Prague metro. (And if she were asking for a translation, a dictionary alone wouldn't help.)

You've got it almost right, Daniela Marie. As I recall, the exact phrase is:

Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají.

4. Daniela Marie

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted!!

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Last year there were two men from Prague Airport visiting our airport in Tampa. I was helping to show them around the facility and, when we boarded the shuttle from landside to an airside, I announced "Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají". The three of us had a good laugh while those around us just looked confused. :)

6. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

:D :D

7. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

You can also hear the phrase at the start of a Radiohead song called A Reminder :)

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

When I first went to Prague in 1994, there was no "prosím." If I recall correctly, they added that sometime in '95 or '96.

9. Daniela Marie

That makes sense, because my memories are from the 70s and early 80s (when I used to go to Prague to visit my grandmother). I didn't seem to remember the "prosim!"!

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yes, I do remember this phrase without "prosím".

Just for case someone doesn't know what this is all about, there is our friend youtube.

It is kind of czech version of Mind the gap between the train, and the platform

Does other metros/subways/undergrounds/... have some specific phrases? I have been to metro (besides Prague and London) in Paris, Barcelona, Vienna, Kyiv, Istanbul and Ankara, but I do not remember any.

11. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I don't have much other experience with metros but, here at the airport, our shuttles announce "Caution! Do not enter! The doors are about to close!". There is no announcement for exiting (you enter and exit on opposite sides of the shuttle and most people are in a hurry to get out). People always try and force themselves in at the last minute to avoid waiting for the next shuttle - sometimes causing the doors not to close, issuing another announcement "Warning! The doors are not closed! Please stand clear of the doorways!", and causing a delay in departure. Pretty silly, the next shuttle usually arrives in less than two minutes.

12. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't even recall whether it's with or without prosim, and I do take the metro at least two times a day. :oops:
    I guess it just became such a common activity that the ind doesn't even pay attention to the announcements.

13. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Ukončete výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají!
    Ukončete nástup, dveře se zavírají!
    Příští stanice hlavní nádraží.
    Vystupujte vpravo ve směru jízdy!
    Ládví, konečná stanice, prosíme, vystupte!
    Terminal, please leave the train!

14. wer

wer Well-Known Member

See http://lokog.wz.cz/zvuky/zvuky.htm and http://vlcoun.tovara.cz/dp-praha/dolni_dpp-mp3.htm for the exact wording and sound files.

The concrete phrase (and voice) depends on line, resp on the type of the train unit. See here.