Podivin

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by kilosierra, Jan 22, 2008.

1. kilosierra

kilosierra Well-Known Member

I have a friend here and was wondering how it is to visit?? Things to do? To see?

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Have a look at the rest of this site. It has lots of interesting and useful information about the Czech Republic, together with some lovely photographs. It should tell you all you need to know to help you make up your mind about whether to visit the country.

3. kilosierra

I was more interested in the particular region...I just thought someone who has visited or resides in the area could respond. I've looked through the forum for info on this region but haven't located anything.

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

5. kilosierra

Yes, that is it!!...Thank you very much for the links :wink:

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Just notce:
    We didn't understand your first post, because Czech word "podivín" means weirdo, oddball, freak :)

7. kilosierra

Oh my!! That isn't good... :oops: Can I ask for you to explain the difference with what I wrote and what I should have written?? To my untrained American eye they look like the same word.... :? Thanks!

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess what eso meant was that you have a friend here who is "podívín" (freak/eccentric person/oddball) :) and you want to visit him :).

At least it was what I thought when you wrote your first post a week ago.

So you wrote: I have a friend here and was wondering how it is to visit??

And you should have written: I have a friend in Podivin and was wondering how it is to visit?? :)

We did not realized that "here" = "Podivín"

BTW I did some research - Podivín is directly on the railway from Brno to Břeclav, so there are trains going from Brno (or Břeclav) once an hour. From Prague it is less than 4 hours (change train in Brno).

9. kilosierra

I'm sorry for the confusion...I put the name in the topic and didn't think to put it in my message. But, I did spell it correctly in the topic, didn't I?? I don't understand how the name of a town can also mean a freak, oddball person?? Am I not understanding? I will need to pay more attention to my wording in the future... :oops:
    Thanks for the research...

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

In the US there also are places you would never consider a town from it's name:

New Year, MT
    Uncertain, TX
    Earth, TX
    Ding Dong, TX
    Parachute, CO
    Accident, MD
    Paradox, NY
    Odd, WV

and some others :).

Just imagine someone is calling to your cell asking where are you :) and you are answering - Earth, or -Uncertain.

11. eso

eso Well-Known Member

On offical webpage of the city, in History section, they say nobody knows origin of this name. It's complete mystery.

12. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Jeff and I once drove by a town in California that was called Zzyzx. I thought it was the weirdest city name I had ever seen. But now I'm not so sure. Take a look at this list. :)

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Mystic, CT

14. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Not to mention Blue Balls or Intercourse, both in Pennsylvania (and, thankfully, not too far from each other). :wink:

note: for those of you who may not know, "blue balls" is slang for the male condition of having been deprived of sexual activity for an extended period of time. "Intercourse" can mean a sexual encounter.

15. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Glenn,

I heard that you can get arrested looking for Intercourse in Pennsylvania. :wink: :oops:

16. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Only if you're trying to buy it :p

17. kilosierra

Wow...you guys are really crazy!! :lol: One has to wonder how someone could bring themselves to move to a town with these names!!!

Now back to topic at hand...has anyone ever been to the town of Podivin?

18. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I never been there. It's more village than town - Population: 2815

19. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

There are some nice places to visit which are not too far away. I think Mikulov is about 90 minutes by train.

20. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Oh, could be employment opportunities. Granted, most of them are pretty small towns, but there must be some industry around or they'd just wither up into ghost towns. Heck, I'd move to this town if the job was right.

Anybody think there might have been an asylum or something around Podivin? You know, since the name refers to "odd" people...