Prague main station - be careful

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by amraam_7, Sep 2, 2006.

1. amraam_7

amraam_7 Well-Known Member

This isn't the kind of publicity I'd like to post, but I feel that i should warn you all. Be extra careful in the park surrounding the Prague main station. Yesterday, I was assaulted there by some guy. This happened at 21:45. He grabbed my jacket and said to come with him and nothing will happen to me. Then he tried to punch me in the face. I dodged the punch and was hit pretty hard in my collarbone. I indicated a punch into his face, so he had to cover himself and lost grip of my jacket, so I could knock off his hand holding me and I ran away. This guy was much stronger, so there was no chance for me to defend myself by force. I'm really shaken by this experience, because I live in Prague since I was born and nothing like this ever happened to me. So, please, be careful :(

2. Debra_Smile

Debra_Smile Member

Which area is not quite safe in Prague, especially for a solo female traveller? :shock:

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Amraam_7 is right. That park (colloquially called Sherwood) isn't exactly safe, specially at night. It's residence for homeless people.

But it will change. Station and surrounding will be reconstructed. The reconstruction would be finished in year 2009.

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Wow, amraam_7, I just read your post! That's really terrible. I'm glad you were able to get away. I sure don't like that park and I almost never walk through it. I always take the metro directly into/out of the station.

You'll find some helpful information in the Personal Safety thread.

5. Ninuska

Ninuska New Member

Sadly these days nowhere is totally safe for anyone to walk alone at night. This is not just Prague's problem. But I would like to repeat the constant warning - beware of pickpockets! I was jostled while getting onto a train at the main train station, and then discovered that my purse had been taken. It was my own fault, I was careless, too excited, I guess! (And I had been warned!). My train ticket was in the purse, but to their credit the ticket inspectors understood and I was able to continue my journey. These pickpockets operate in gangs, a man lifted my luggae onto the train and then disappeared. I thought he was being helpful, but now I realize he was marking me as a target. Although this was a distressing experience, it could have happened anywhere. The rest of my visit, to friends in Valašské Mezíříčí, was wonderful. I can't wait to go again. I'm sure that people in one's hotel or boarding house will give advice about where it is safe, or not, to go. Bad people everywhere, not just in CR. Don't be nervous, just sensible!

6. Debra_Smile

Debra_Smile Member

Thanks for your good advices.
    I have one more question.

Are there less pickpockets in winter than in summer?
    :roll:

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Specially pre-Christmas season is harvest for them.

8. praguepivo

praguepivo Member

WOW! I can remember when I first got here (13 years ago) it was always refferred to as Sherwood Forest (robbing the rich...) but I think it has really improved alot. There actually is a pub(?) now across the street called Sherwood.
    I must say that it is rather daunting to go there but I do love the Chinese food kiosk!