Prosím translate dva phrases into czech děkuji

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by The Animal, Apr 23, 2008.

1. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

1) In God We Trust
    2) Owner-- God Our Father.

Are these correct?
    1) V Bůh My Víra
    2) Vlastník-- Bůh Náš Otec

Děkuji zatím nashledanou Jody :wink:

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

V Bůh My Víra :-D

1.) Věříme v Boha.

As I am not religious person, I am not sure about the second one. The first one is easy to translate as it is a sentence. But the second is not. But you translated words well.

3. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i would consider trust to be "duvěřovat" rather than "věřit" - věřit i would translate back into english as "believe" - of course that brings up the question of do you have to believe in something to trust in it???

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That could be a literal translation, but it is not common phrase. We mostly use “Bůh Otec” (= God the Father), but this is commonly interpreted as the part of the Holy Trinity. In the context of Old Testament it is not common to refer to God using both “God” and “Father” simultaneously. When using the term “náš Otec” we often use the archaic word order “Otec náš”, hence the Czech version of Lord's Prayer starts with “Otče náš” (and the prayer is called “Otčenáš”). And in addition, in Czech we don’t use the possessives so extensively as you in English.

The common translation of this English phrase is “Věříme v Boha”, but you could find even the version “Důvěřujeme v Boha” or “Důvěřujeme Bohu”.

I have wrote here before I have chaos in these terms in English, I always hesitate what’s the right English verb for the Czech meaning. In Czech, the way the verbs governs the object is much more important than the verb itself, in other words there is big difference between “věřit/důvěřovat někomu” and “věřit/důvěřovat v něco”.

5. meluzina

verime v boha would be "we believe in god"

maybe i am misinterpreting the "in god we trust", but i always understood trust to be more in line with the following definition:

to have confidence or faith in; "We can trust in God"; "Rely on your friends"; "bank on your good education"

there is probably a very fine line in english as well

maybe i am thinking of the fact that i think it is possible to believe in the existence of something yet not have 100% confidence in that same something

does that make sense????

6. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

It makes perfect sense. I see it that way as well. One can believe in God, it's not the same as trusting God. There's a HUGE difference.

7. meluzina

and i'm really not meaning to argue - it's just that i'm confused on the czech part of it now....

i always considered "verime v boha" to be "we believe in god" as in we are believers

the english "in god we trust" i always understood to be "we place our trust in him" not in the religious sense though????

so is the czech "verime v boha" the same as the "we place our trust in him"?

again - i might have the wrong interpretation of either one of them or both of them

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Why?

If one believe in God, then one should believe in the Bible.
    There is written in the Bible: "The Word of God is truth" (Jn 17:17).
    (There is similar sentence written in Koran as well, which, from my point of view, is third volume after Old Testament and New Testament)

:idea: IF ((Believe=God) && (God=truth)) => In God we (should) trust

:) (sorry for this IT-point-of-view input)

But there is allways an option not to believe in the Bible (Koran), but to believe in God. But then I would have a question - why would I want to belive in something inpalmable, and not want to trust in it?

EDIT: One quote from czech movie "The Inheritance or Fuckoffguysgoodday" just came to my mind :), they were discussing similar topic there.

9. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

How can you believe in God, yet not fully trust in God?

Here, I think, the confusion is the meaning of the word trust. It has special meanings I think in religion.

You can trust....know that a person will do you know harm, and has only good intentions toward you

and then you can trust in....Handover your life....and just know that God will take care of you.

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Proverbs 3:5

English
    King James: "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart ..."
    Revised Standard: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart ..."

Czech
    Kralická: Doufej v Hospodina celým srdcem svým"
    Ekumenická: "Důvěřuj Hospodinu celým srdcem"

11. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

Actually "In God we trust" is a nice example of how word order can change the meaning of a sentence (at least in Czech). While "Důvěřujeme Bohu" simply states that among other things (or entities should I say) we trust in God, "Bohu důvěřujeme" on the other hand means that it is mainly God that we trust in, possibly implying "everybody else pays cash" as a friend of mine likes to say. Does this also apply to English?

12. The Animal

Děkuji
    To all of můj friends here at the boards for your input.

The phrase ( In God We Trust ) is on our American currancy.
    With that being said jsem also placing that phrase on můj business cards in cěsky.

I have one problem though, jsem making můj cards on-line then when I turn it into a download foremate I lose the special cz letters.

Does anyone know of any free cz websites that will let you make your business cards, then download the format. Then you can print them out at anytime. This is the website that jsem currently using. I recommend them. http://www.businesscardland.com/home/ I wish there is something similar to this website so I do not lose the special letters Děkuji everyone ! Z Jody :wink: :wink:

13. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

wouldn't it be easier to design the card yourself in photoshop or something similar? just add the czech keyboard layout to your OS.

14. dzurisova

It has to do with application of the belief: to apply it to your life. Many people believe the bible is true but to actually have the faith to apply it is to Trust in God.

Example: Many can believe the Bible is true when it says:

Proverbs 3:9-10 (New International Version)
    Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
    Malachi 3:8 & 10 (New International Version)
    "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.
    2 Corinthians 9:6-7 (New International Version)
    Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

But when believers are faced with the decision to give money to further the Kingdom of God or to pay a bill, will they trust in God and follow the scripture; trusting that God will do what He said in His word and bless their finances?

That's the difference in Believing in God and Trusting in God.

15. dzurisova

One more quick non-Christian example of belief vrs trust.

A kid is playing at the park and finds himself stuck high on the monkey bars. He yells "Daddy, help me down" The dad raises his arms and tells the child to jump. The child may believe that Daddy will catch him. But to actually jump, is to trust that daddy will catch him.

16. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Interesting. It seems that from Czech point of view there is no difference between these two meanings. At least, I don't see difference.

17. The Animal

Dear fabik317 or anyone else,

Will photoshop allow you to write in CZ characters? It has been a very long time sinse I have used that program. I was also thinking about taking a business card to a card maker, and see if they could make it with the special characters. But then again, I do not think they will be able too. We do not have special letters in english.

Does anyone know if Spanish has special characters? Seems like Spanish is second language around here.

If not, I can take a sheet of ten cards, write in the special characters over the letters then start making the cards. Sounds like alot of work though, but, it would be worth it. Our Czech heritage on the card correctly, would be CZ super 8) 8)

Now to the Religion side of this thread, I place můj faith in God the Father, that he will take care of me. I donate alot of time in services for him, also give tithes when I can. I do not charge the church for můj services, God has gave me the talent to do what he needs me to do. Right now he has me working at The Cowboy Church working on the areana and one of the buildings there. Here is a link. http://wtcchurch.org/ I just pray alot that he gets this business that jsem manageing for him to take off like wild fire. Jsem tired of the Fortune 500 Company. All you are is just a number to them. When the business takes off hopefully I will not be turning wrenches on Diesel Engines again. I will turn wrenches on můj own equipment though. That I can handle.

If you are religious prosím pray for me. I pray for all of you, Děkuji. God Bless, Your friend Jody.

Eso, can ty prosím research some business card companies there in CZ like the one that I posted here? That will allow you to download your card for free after you design it. Děkuji Eso.

18. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hehe, same here :). OK, say "trust" is higher level of "belief" :)

In czech there is not such a big difference between "důvěra/důvěřovat" and "víra/věřit".

But this is what is interesting about languages - comparing their expresivity. And this is why there is huge difference between being able to read and understand english (or any other) text, and actually translate it into czech.

I have been translating subtitles of several episodes (five or so) from some TV series, and admire people who do it on regular basis, week by week. Don't you, Eso?

19. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

There may be some free site, but I only found those are charging money.

I do my cards in Word, tab with 2 cols and 5 rows, 5×9 cm, design one, copy and paste the others.

20. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Of course, these are great, great people!!! ;) ;)