Ptát se/zeptat se take the genitive, why??

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Calvario, Dec 15, 2006.

1. mbm

mbm Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I understand this. Are you trying to say the word "chleba", which we now use as a nominative noun, originated as a partitive genitive of "chléb"?

2. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I had a presentiment that...-moc lepší-I had a feeling that...--presentiment is a word very rarely used, most would not recognize it.

Amorous alluring animated amateurs awkwardly asked about artificial alloys, allowing another absentee absentminded architect to acknowledge all annoying angry assossiates.

Líný muž ví čerstvou chleba na stole, které je na druhou stranu pokoji a řívá, ''Chleba, k mně hned. Nevidíš, že zemřím hlady.''

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Actually, it's even more complicated. The pronunciation of the word is different, depending on whether you use it as a noun or adjective.

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

OK, but I still want to distinguish tušení and pocit. What about I had a hunch that...?

As for the moc lepší, it is incorrect* (although quite frequent). Moc is not used with comparative, you have to use mnohem or o mnoho/moc.

*Moc lepší is something like more better incorrectly used instead of much better.
    Nice, could you somehow exclude the to to make it perfect? :D
    What's assossiates?

* from vědět (= to know) × vidí from vidět (= to see). Yes, I know this is quite confusing, that's because both verbs are of common origin.
    ** Or chleba as Eleshar proposed, but I never heard about declinable word ending in -a in its singular vocativ form. :wink:
    Yep, I know. A different pronunciation for a word written in the same way - what a terrible language English is! :D

5. scrimshaw

Škoda==myslel jsem, že jsem to přece dostal správně, ale místo, byly tam mnoho oprav. :shock:

o mnohem lepší=děkuji=to jsem nevěděl

I have a hunch that==that is perfect
    very similar to I have a feeling that,,,,hard to say if I really recognize a difference in meaning.
    I have a hunch that...I have a feeling that she will arrive late.
    Tušil jsem, že by zas přišla pozdě.
    I figured she would arrive late again.

Sorry, I misspelled it :oops: =associate
    noun=associate=someone that works with someone
    Hi, this is my assoiate from the office
    verb=to associate
    We associate at the office, but hardly ever see each other outside the office.

The noun and the verb have slightly different pronunciations.
    noun=associate
    verb=assOciate

yea, that to kindd of ruined it. :D

6. scrimshaw

better yet
    noun=assOciate
    verb=assOciAte

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No, this is also wrong, you mixed two correct possibilities into one incorrect.

You can use "o + accusative + comparative" to denote the difference in a comparison.

older by six years = starší o šest let / o šest let starší

In the same way you can use it with mnoho, but the accusative of mnoho is mnoho.

o mnoho lepší

You can use it also without preposition, but then it is in instrumental (which corresponds to English "by").

mnohem lepší

8. doman

doman Well-Known Member

So luckily we are ! :D

We speak a language without Grammar and using only Infinitive words :lol:

9. scrimshaw

Uuuuuf!

To je o mnoho lepší než můj.
    Ona to udělala mnohem snadší způsobem než já, proto to skončila dřiv.
    Já nejsem o mnoho starší než ty. My oba ale jsou o mnoho starší než oni.

10. scrimshaw

Doman=what do you mean by infinitive words?

11. doman

doman Well-Known Member

It means in Vietnamese the Verb, Nounds, Adjectives...ect... are always the same, not changed when used. The tense does'nt exist...

For example:
    In Eng. Last week, I'd driven a bus in Prague !
    In Cze. V minulym tydnem, ja jsem ridil jeden bus v Praze !
    In VNmese via E. Last week, I drive a bus ! :D

12. scrimshaw

That sure simplifies things :D

13. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

Yes.