Raspberry filling for kolacky?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by gypzy, Aug 7, 2006.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Raspberry season is just on it's last leg :cry: :cry: :cry: ! Fortunately I managed to freeze and pick those that I was unable to eat right away, yay :D ! Now I want to know if anyone has a recipe for raspberry kolacky filling. I have a recipe for raspberry pie, yummy :D ! But I would like something more authentic. Any other ideas for raspberries? I put them in my salad, cottage cheese, sauce for sponge cake, in a bowl with (real)cream, on cereal. I even put them in the perculator basket when I make coffee or ice-tea in a stove top perculator. Even my cat eats them. If I don't hand feed them to him he picks off the branch. I am so sad, most of the berries last week got bug eaten :cry: .

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Not very authentic Gypsy. Jam would melt and soak in. Povidla (prune butter), poppy seed filling and farmer's cheese filling are most usual fillings in CR.

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, this is interesting - I never heard of povidla being referred to as prune butter, as it has nothing in common with prunes. Povidla is made with fresh plums, pitted and stewed with a little bit of vinegar till they reach the desired thickness (it takes hours and needs frequent and thorough stirring).

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

prunes are dried plums - there must be a little bit in common but perhaps not taste, consistency, or texture (then, again, that doesn't leave much to be in common) :wink:

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

In Czech cuisine, prunes (or blueberries) cooked in water with sugar and spices (cinnamon, cloves) and mashed are called klevela and served with yeast dumplings. A mix of boiled prunes and other kinds of dried fruit (apples, pears, raisins, apricots) is called muzika and it used to be a part of traditional Christmas menu.

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

They both sound yummy - hope I can sample some when I get there in October - anyone know a good bakery in Praha?

7. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

there is a lot of confusion on plum vs. prune - the closest me mum ever found in northern california to czech "svestky" was a variety called "italian prune" at the local markets - hence maybe the prune butter? when these could not be found, she made excellent povidla from dried prunes actually

you can also make apricot filling from dried apricots

8. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

I have used many of the filling suggestions before. The povidla sounds good! I am always looking to experiment in the kitchen! Now I am hungry :) . Farmer cheese filling topped with rasberries :roll: , maybe?

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Yes, this is one of popular combinations used for phyllo pastry (squares of pastry filled with farmer´s cheese mixed with sugar, egg yolk and vanilla, topped with raspberries/strawberries/apricot halves; corners folded into the center to cover the filling, brushed with whisked egg and baked). The best way is to serve it directly from the oven!

10. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Prunes are what we call dry Italian plums (in English) - in Czech just Svetsky (or dry svestky). We live in Canada cca 40 years and if we coudn't get German Prune butter (Can/USA expression for povidla), we made it cooking chopped (dry :?) prunes. Much faster recipe than using fresh ones. Svestky are also not as common here as in CR and perhaps that couyld be another reason. We or Czechs we know here never use word lekvar (just povidla) ... however, I googled Czech/USA bakery web and found following: "The traditional Kolache was filled with apricot, cottage cheese, poppy seed and/or lekvar (prune butter)." I would like to comment for those who don't know ingredience "tvaroh" that it is not cottage cheese, but farmers cheese on Amer.continent.

I also found recipe http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/GrndmSkt ... asp(didn't try this one) and see that "prune butter" has same spices as povidla. Writer is using word "prunes".

Quoting from Wikipedia
    "Prunes are cultivars of plum species (mostly Prunus domestica). In general, prunes are freestone cultivars (the stone is easy to remove), whereas plums are cling (the stone is more difficult to remove). Dried fruit of the prune tree were traditionally called "dried prunes" or "prunes", but an effort is currently underway to market them as "dried plums". Fresh prunes reach the market earlier than fresh plums and are usually smaller in size. Prune juice is more fiber-rich than plum juice and is often marketed as a way to increase regularity.
    In the United States, due to the negative association of prunes with regularity and the elderly, the California Dried Plum Board renamed and began remarketing prunes as "dried plums".

And at last: from other website "Prunes are actually the dried version of European plums and recently had its name officially changed to dried plum."

I GIVE UP :lol: :lol: :lol: It seems that I missed announcement of official name change :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Poor Gypsy, she asks about raspberries and gets old prunes. I love prunes (for no particular reason) :D and posted some links in "Other topics" section.

12. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Very interesting information, magan :D .
    I understand it is much easier for you to prepare povidla using prunes and I think I will try it some day. Lekvár is Slovak term for Czech povidla or Moravian povidlí; and I take it as my duty to add that hrušková povidla (pear butter) is considered as the best filling for valašské frgále (a special kind of kolache baked in Walachia, a region of Beskydy Mountains in the northeast of the Czech Republic).

13. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

That's ok. I like prunes too. My favorite kolacky flavor is prunes. My g aunt likes prunes best, while my grandmas fav is poppy seed. Maybe taste buds aren't quite as genetic as my science teacher said :roll: ? It was fun reading about prunes and plums and dif's/sim's. I may have forgotten something important while adding new info to my brain :p . That's ok, as the saying goes, "If it's really truelly important ya won't forget."

14. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Just saw prune plums (with sign as such) in Ontario grocery store today.