Rodny List

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by zorba0332, Sep 23, 2005.

1. zorba0332

zorba0332 Member

Hello

I have found some old documentation from what I believe is my Grandmother. It is called a Rodny List. Is this a Birth Certificate?

From what I can tell, it not only has my Grand Mothers name but also their Parents. This looks like a great piece of information to work with

I’m looking up the titles and trying to translate but a few questions I have with the information.

I think that Otec is father and which is Andrej Balazs. There is name “den, mesic, rok a misto narocieni” and the info next to it is 37 lety – Kosicka Nova Ves. Is this an address?

The title for Matka which I think is Mother is Anna roz. Takacova. Next to name “den, mesic, rok a misto narocieni” is 34 leta’ – Nizna Hutka. Is this an address as well?

I guess I am on my way and thank anyone for any information and any help…

2. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Zorba,

your grandmother's parents were either Hungarians or Slovaks (with Hungarian last names) or perhaps Gypsies.

Košická Nová Ves is a part of the East Slovak town Košice (Kassa in Hungarian, Cassovia in Latin) and Nižná Hutka near Košice (Alsó Hutka in Hungarian - http://www.cassovia.sk/hutka/) is a town/village in Slovakia which was a part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire in those times.

Balázs (or Slovak spelling Baláž) and Takács (or Takáč = weaver) are common Hungarian last names.

37 letý means 37 years old, 34 letá = 34 year old (fem.).

den, měsíc, rok a místo narození = day, month, year and place of birth

3. Hektik

Hektik New Member

Hi. Rodny List is a Birth Certificate.

otec = father
    matka - mother
    den, mesic, rok a misto narozeni = day, month, year of birth
    37 lety = 37 years old, Kosicka Nova Ves = village in Slovakia
    34 leta = 34 years old, Nizna Hutka = village in Slovakia

Plus, Takac and Balasz are definitely not typical Czech surnames, so you have most likely Slovak origins.

4. zorba0332

zorba0332 Member

So would that mean that is how old they were when my Grandmother was born?

And would this be the village or town that they lived when she was born as well?

Thanks for the input!

If I post a scanned image of this Rodny List on a Yahoo website, could anyone look at it to help me understand it? I don't want to ask too much...

Thanks...

5. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Or Hungarian or Gypsy.

Kassa (Košice) was predominantly a Hungarian town in that time.

The correct Hungarian spelling of the surnames: Balázs and Takács (or Takáts - an older spelling)
    The Slovak spelling: Baláž and Takáč.

Yes, maybe they didn't know the exact day of their birth.

Košická Nová Ves - birthplace of your grandmother's father
    Nižná Hutka - birthplace of your grandmother's mother

They are different towns/villages, both near (or a part of) Košice (now in the Slovak Republic, a member of EU, before 1993 in Czechoslovakia, before 1918 in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy).

6. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

zorba:

All birth certificates (Rodny List) issued in Slovakia only state the age the parents were at the time of the birth (the do not list actual birthdays).

However, if you contact the Matrika in Bratislava, they might provide you with additional "margin" information, like actual address, religion and birth date of the parents. These are handwritten notations of the official copy that is on file. Unfortunetly, to correspond with the Matrika, you will need to contact them in Slovak (any other language they just ignore, including Czech). The fee in Slovakia is 25Sk per original document.

Also, you might the forum on :" www.slovensco.com" there are a few knowlegeble "helpfull" individuals on the forum, like Burik who seem to have access to all current and past Slovak/Hungarian bondries and past political implications, and Valdo ( a photographer in Bratislava) who is very helpfull, and maight even help you with the Slovak tranlation you will need or do your legwork as his schedule allows.

In the evnet you need to use a geneologist (for a fee), I can recomend Dr. Peter Nagy at "nagy@centroconsult.sk", he located my birth certificate within days (my mother claimed thet there was no birth certificate that recorded my birth for over 60 years ).

He also provided me with documentation in Bratislava, regarding my grandparents, residences, profession and military records up to the onset of the 1st Czech Republic in 1919.

Peter's work is mainly confined to the current Slovak Republic, and with the "velvet" revolution and the division of Czechoslovakia, your ancsestry might have crossed the line, and some of the information will then have to come from Prague. The Matrika in Prague on Vodickova 18 (tel 221 09 71 11, fax 224 21 60 88). I found the vedouci (manager) Jana Talmanova quite competent an helpfull -- the Matrika charges 100Kc per document requested.

Good Luck in your quest, I hope this will help.

Viktor

PS. On Slovensko.com, you might run into some former communist nationalist "idiots" who's main goal is to bash Americans and Czechs but ignore them and deal with Valdo and Burik.

7. zorba0332

zorba0332 Member

WOW!!!! Lots of GREAT information!!! I am sooo thankful for the help!

I will contact Dr. Peter Nagy as he has an emial address and will make it easier then calling via telephone.

Thanks so much for taking the time to add to my information!

8. zorba0332

zorba0332 Member

Now then
    According to the Rodny List
    Great Grand Father would be Andrej Balazs (Multiple spellings)
    Great Grand Mother would be Anna roz Takacova (again, multiple spelling)

On the Rodny list, my Grand Mother's name is Anna Balazsova. How is this name derived?

Under that name is a word I can not find. I think because I an spelling it worng - "pohlovi" and in the block next to it is "zenske" what is this?

Thanks!

9. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Zorba:

Pohlovie -- rough translation = progeny's gender (hatchling)
    Zenske -- rough translation = female presuasion (womanly)
    Viktor

10. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

father - Andrej Balázs
    mother - Anna Balázsová, née Takácsová (the abbreviation roz. means née)

their daughter - Anna Balázsová (the same first and last name as her mother, but of course née Balázsová)

11. zorba0332

zorba0332 Member

Would née be concidered a "middle name"? Like my middle name might be Michael?

12. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

I think née (= born) means maiden surname in such context.

father - Andrej Balázs (his father' surname: Balázs)

mother - Anna Balázsová (her husband's surname: Balázs), maiden surname Takácsová (her father's surname: Takács)

their daughter - Anna Balázsová (her father's surname: Balázs)

13. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Zeisig is right: the "roz." is not part of the name at all, but just indicates a maiden name (literally "roz." is an abbreviation for "born")

14. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

[/i]"nee" is used in Slovakia and the Czech Republic on documents as A.K.A. (also known as) is applied in the US.

Viktor

15. zorba0332

zorba0332 Member

Hi Everyone!!

Been a little while but I have not lost intrest! I continue forward with my search!

I have found (with the help of friends, family and people here) the information about my Grand Mother. I am not sure of a couple things...

Her last place of residence was Hybbe, Slovaky. I can not find this information and map at all. Where and when was it?

Also, the ship deported from Le Havre, This is in France I assume from the research I have done. Would it be normal to travel from the Slovak Republic to france... (I dont think it was the Slovak Republic then but you know what I mean)

How would someone make this trip back then?

Viktor - I finally got an email from Peter. Thenk you for such a great contact. I do believe that I will utilize his services once I get as far as I can here in the states! Thx!

16. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

There is a town called Hybe between Liptovský Mikuláš and Poprad, near the Velke Tatry mountains (see map). It's quite a ways from Košice, but it's the closest thing I can find.

Le Havre, France is one of the biggest ports in France (see Wikipedia), so it's not surprising that her ship left from there. The land trip is a long way, but then again, Slovakia is a land-locked country, and given the better quality of life that was available in Western Europe, it's entirely possible that travelling to the U.S. was not her first or only choice in terms of her future plans. The trip would definitely have been a difficult one, but there are thousands of people who made such trips in that day and age, looking for a better life.