school curriculum...?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by BeBa, Mar 22, 2005.

1. BeBa

BeBa Member

Ahoj

I was wondering what the school curriculum would be, for a high school student in Prague? Also, I would like to know what the English/American schools are like?
    Thanks for your help!

2. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

ok, I am not going to address that until you check your English....do u want to go to scool :} in prauge :}

Ode to the American HS :{

3. BeBa

BeBa Member

there is nothing worng with my english, thank you one mistake isn't enough for you to say you wont address me for one typing error i'll correct my self *SCHOOLS not "scools"

And yes i am moving to Prauge in the summer with my family

4. hockeygirl_leafs07

hockeygirl_leafs07 Active Member

True but then look at how you consistently wrote Prague as "Prauge", he could've nailed you on that too. But this isn't a spelling bee.
    I think in most European countries, the curriculum is more advanced and perhaps more competitive. Of course, I don't have experience of my own, I'm just saying that Europeans or Asians who come here to N. America as exchange students tell me that they generally find the work easy and the workload light.
    They tell me that they regard the work in our schools as "useless crap" and manage to get good grades with not much effort. Esp. considering english is their second or third language, schools here are easy for them. Are you going to an american/english school? They also have different kinds of schools for Czechs..obchodni akadmie, prumyslova skola, gymnasium and then vocational schools that offer some apprentice type training.

5. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

KJP, I don't think it is our duty to correct posters' spelling and discourage inquiries. Some people suffer from dyslexia which seems to be the case here.

6. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Hum, where to begin?

BeBa, there was more than one mistake, and such a short sentence. Additionally, your reply contains mistakes :{

Hockeygirl: I did mention the Prague typo also, reason being, two dramatical errors in a 10 word sentence means this to me:
    the curriculum is more advanced and perhaps more competitive.

Kids getting out of HS in the states are ill prepared for life elsewhere. It is in keeping with American isolationism. They can't even figure out measurements, for Americans are the only country in the world not using the metric system.

But mostly, it is an embaressment and bad reflection on our nation, and no, I will not condone its use...

But the worst, and most sweeping overgeneralization, comes from Eva's comments: oh my, if I insulted her/him than you smashed the record by calling this individual dyslexic! Dyslexia is genetic, and this person doesnt strike me as a 7 year old, therefore, they would in all likelihood already have know if they were...(my apologies if you are Beba). Either way, a simple opps, coupled with corrections, albeit basic English, would have been met with an answer to the questions.

It is more likely due to the laziness and apathy evident in our HS kids, coupled with the butchering of our language by the use of street talk, ebonics, slang ... this is not to be condoned, by any means. I appreciate it when I converse in Czech (written) and they correct my use of diacritics, cases, etc.

To view it as a personal attack is indicative of a deeper seeded self esteem problem...

Not only is the English terrible, but not conducive to receiving a reply. If you want to travel, be sure that you can at least speak your native tongue correctly, for as Americans, even our English if frowned upon here, with the Queens English being the choice of Czechs (and rightfully so)

I will not eliminate my comments, and by you overlooking such lingustical errors, in a forum that attracts many from other lands, it outright wrong. Yes, continue to post, I didnt want to discourage that, but take a second to proof read (even then, we all make mistakes). I speculate that this individual is poorly educated. Look at the use of commas and the reply.

Hold you head high when being a diplomat, and it starts with representing our nation not as the fat, uneducated, Hollywood loving couch potatoes that we have the reputation for...

Prove me wrong BeBa, correct both your posts into what is, 6th grade English...

7. metric

metric Well-Known Member

Where indeed? I (sad product of US public schools) was going to correct the errors in this post, but they're just too numerous. Perhaps KJP is not a native speaker of English and so needs some accomodation, as might be extended to someone with a genetic or environmental "condition".

The errors range from spelling (embaressment, doesnt, opps, didnt) to disagreements in number, to just plain sloppy construction.

Just to take one passage:

I do understand what was intended here, but grammatically it's just a nightmare.

"When travelling abroad, each of us may be seen as a sort of diplomat. As such, we should try to be exemplary, rather than adding to the stereotype of Americans as being fat, uneducated, Hollywood-loving couch potatoes."

Is that what was intended?

How about: "When travelling abroad, we're each representatives of our respective cultures, for better or for worse. The fact that we're here sharing our interest in the Czech Republic shows that we're possibly a cut above the rest. On our foreign travels we'll be subject to the special scrutiny given to 'outsiders'; as such we should be on our best behaviour. But this certainly does not mean that we should 'put on airs' or try to appear to be better than we are: we must be accepted 'warts and all', and we must be ready to receive our hosts in the same spirit".

The latter would be my words on the topic.

But even through the foggy language in KJP's post, I think I got the essence of what he was trying to say.

See? It isn't so difficult to use English (or Czech) but it's very difficult to use either correctly.

8. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Metric, know much about php? Some forums allow for spell checks, while others don'''''''''''''''t

I would exactly say that the missing apostrophe is indicative of sloppy construct. Had there been more time (I am at work, your in Maine, and I know the time difference), I might have caught the one misspelt word. Opps is not a word, as you know, yet a child word extended from Mother easy (spelt differently, yet said as spelt here)

Knowing the public school system in Maine, which has one of the highest illiteracy rates in the country, I am surprised that you willingly overlook blatent syntactical/leading to semantical mistakes. Ahhhhh (also not a word, or iz it cus iz is not sur) maybe it is just that, a Maine thing....

My English was adaquate for a private liberal arts college coupled with a master's....enough for Portland Maine. Lead by example, not by anger

or is it Maine via London (i.e. behaviour)

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Martin Luther King Jr.

9. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Your English may have been "adaquate" for a private liberal arts college coupled with a master's but if you appoint yourself a spelling vigilante your own posts should be flawless. Besides, assaulting a first-time visitor goes against the basic rules of hospitality.

10. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

but its hospitable to call them dyslexic?!

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Beba,

I apologize for the big stink raised here. In principle, however, KJP does have a point. The level of education in American high schools definitely has a negative stereotype, and there are reasons for this. I think, though, that KJP is missing a more important point, which is that many (perhaps half or more) of those that frequent these message boards are not native speakers of English. Therefore as a courtesy to them, please try to write in correct English. I realize that in the world of American chat rooms, the basic rules of language are much looser, but this is very much an international forum.

As for previous comments raised on this thread: Eva, the dyslexia comment was uncalled for. KJP, practice what you preach, especially if you don't want the stereotype of the American high school to be extended to liberal arts colleges, as well. In general, if you're just going to bash one another, take the fight outside (i.e. that's what the little PM button is for).

Now, Beba, to your innocent little question, which somehow got lost in the mix. My experience is that the level of high-school education varies significantly in the Czech Republic. In general, the level is higher than in the U.S. For example, those students on the college-prep track generally have more advanced classes, which an American might more expect to see in the first couple of years in college. This is especially true in the sciences, math, and foreign language. It seems most exchange students from the Czech Republic fall into this category, which perhaps exaggerates the difference in education levels between our two countries.

On the other hand, there appears to be a significant fraction of high-school age students in the Czech Republic (much more so that in the U.S.) who attend vocational-type high schools, where the curriculum is more geared toward learning a specific trade, rather than what is considered as typical "book learning." In this case, the level of education, I would say, is more or less on a par with those of a typical U.S. high school, mainly because of the better pre-high-school preparation Czechs get.

Having said this, it is important to recognize also, that the level of education at American high schools is also quite varied, not because the types of schools vary (few Americans receive any vocational training in high school), but because the quality of teaching varies. For example, inner city schools typically suffer from lack of funding, and therefore usually don't attract the best teachers. On the other hand, some school districts offer many college-level courses (I've seen numbers above 30), some of which may equal or better similar courses in the Czech Republic's college-prep schools. So, your experience will largely depend on the quality of school you attend now.

One other important issue to consider is the mentality of the typical high-school student in both countries. Generally, being "book smart," of course, is not considered desirable among most American high-school students. This is not generally the case in the Czech Republic (or wasn't 10 years ago), as Czech youth typically value education more than Americans. Classroom discipline is also generally not a problem in the Czech Republic, as it often is in the U.S.

As a scientist, I have been very impressed with the level of science and math taught in the Czech Republic's college-prep schools, and in their counterparts throughout Eastern Europe. In some rare cases, I've seen material taught to 15-year-olds, that I didn't see until my third year in college (case in point, physics using multivariate calculus in my wife's Ukrainian technical school, which by the way, was considered one of the top schools of its kind in the former U.S.S.R.).

The only thing I have been somewhat disappointed by in Czech and Eastern European education has been the level of compositional writing. I don't mean this in the sense of grammar or spelling, but rather of forethought in structure and organization (not of course, that the typical American is any better, mind you).

These are all observations I've made second-hand, so take them for what they're worth. In general, I'll stick with my original statement that the level of high-school education in the Czech Republic is higher than in the U.S. and often, markedly so.

As for the English schools in Prague or the Czech Republic in general, I don't know enough to comment on them in the least.

12. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Thank you Sova, at least someone can identify the intended question of this thread. I am also curious about the education system/curriculum in ČR. How does it compare to education levels/standards in Western Europe (UK, France etc.) is it similar to education standards in other East-European countries? Also, how frequently is English taught in general schools? Are there any other compulsory languages besides Czech and English?
    Thanks,
    Jason

13. BeBa

BeBa Member

Question... why do some stupid errors really matter. I just wanted to know about the school systems there, that is all, and i did get one real answer from any of you. so why are you wasting your time fitting. and there could be a million reasons as to why i didnt spell a few words correctly but it really isnt any of your business. so you may as well stop posting anything on here if youre not going to answer me.( also this is an internet site just like aim and myspace i dont really care how i spell on this, you are all just looking for things to create petty drama for nothing and over nothing did any of this get you anywhere in your life i dont think so but i dont care to know either)

14. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

iz u fittin jus fine?

Thank you Sova for noting that I had an intended meaning, albeit subliminal. However, while I agree that many here are not native speakers, in this case there is no doubt that she is...

Again, I will not condone its use, and yes Beba, you did receive an answer to your question, you just didn't like it.

Verbosity doesn't mandate good constuct Metric.

15. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Yes, BeBa, you have been forgotten in the heat of the moment and I apologize. However, try to care about your English. In the cyberspace your language is the only visible part of you. Have a nice day!

16. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

Correcting spelling mistakes and solecisms is a service rendered to everybody. If I make mistakes, please correct me. Thanks.

17. Malnik

Malnik Well-Known Member

Its really wierd..... Many Czech people measure intellect by the spelling in posts, not just on here but on lots of boards. My wife posts elsewhere and she meticulously checks her posts before sending. When i asked why she showed me how petty some are over a slight gramatical error....the meaning of the post was lost in a dervish of abuse about 1 word!!
    She then went on to tell me how at business school she was taught to write letters in a way that we here dropped probably 10 yrs ago....then it must be folded exactly in 3 places and they must be in the right place.

My point? The way I write is 'my' style. The people I know and deal with know me and its what makes me different from the rest. Sure i use the spellchecker....every time!
    I haven't written a letter beggining 'Dear Sir' for 20 yrs, if you check back where that came from you will see its a little outdated.
    Its my trademark and its what helps me form a relationship and therefore an understanding with clients and associates. Sure we all laugh about our own personal styles and then we do the business....as friends.
    So do we debase the language.....no not really, we adapt it, I dont want to change it just use it to my advantage.
    And anyone who doesn't like my style, no problem, i can change to the 'correct' manner just for you if it means it makes you happy and i'll get the result i need.
    Excuse the errors on here, but really, any you find wont have any impact on your understanding of this....its Easter Monday and i'm not using spell checker. If i felt any words could be misconstrued i would change them.

Mal

18. Qcumber

Let's be naughty. Beba shouldn't worry about the Czech school system. Beba will be sent to some English school for expat kids where the curriculum is tailored for them. :lol:

19. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Or, shall we say, eased for them...:}

20. Qcumber

KJP, you're worse than I. :lol: