Shoes for winter?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by BMoody, Nov 7, 2006.

1. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Living in Las Vegas I don't exactly have a pair of snow shoes laying around. What sort of shoes would I need for a Czech winter? I take it I'll be in the cities most of the time, so would regular shoes do, or should I hunt down some heavy duty winter wear?
    Thanks a bunch guys! You all always very helpful!

2. Debra_Smile

Debra_Smile Member

I live in sub-tropical area in Asai and I have the same question as BMoody's. My friend told me that would be good if I wear mountaineering boots and that would be better if it is made of Gore-Tex. I don't think I will go mountain climbing. Is it necessary to wear G/T boots if I just walk in the Prague city and Cesky Krumlov?

Thank you guys in advance. :)

3. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

Go for Gore-tex or better for plain natural leather. Wearing lower quality boots in winter is possible but often very far from comfortable.

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, temperature can be under -20°C (-4°F) even in city.

So, I recommend some kind of winter shoes.

But I'm not very good in shoe fashion, because I got really big foot, so I have to take up with I can get. :)

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

If you're coming in the middle of winter (December, January, February), you'll want to wear boots that have a thick sole and go at least up to your ankle. If there's snow on the ground or it's close to 0°C (32°F), your feet will be freezing in regular shoes. Warm padding or fur lining inside the shoe is a must for me but Jeff gets away with wearing heavy duty hiking boots all winter (with wool socks). You don't necessarily need GORE-TEX.

You can take a look at the websites of some shoe stores that are common in the Czech Republic to see what kind of boots Czechs wear here in the winter - Baťa men's, Baťa women's (forget the heels of course), Leiser (click on the dropdown menu on the right that says Alle Schuhtypen and choose "Damen - Boots" for women's or "Herren - Boots" for men's), Humanic.

You can read a bit more about Czech winter weather here.

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Interesting thread for me - as I said during my last visit, I am planning on coming back to ČR next year during Xmas/New Years and hadn't considered shoes. Coming from a place where sandals work for about 90% of the year, I will probably need to go online to buy a decent pair of boots (there may be some sports/hiking shops here that carry good ones but, most of the stores here only carry boots that are waterproof, not cold proof). The Bat'a link is nice - good looking shoes. Thanks!

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Glenn,

Like I said, Jeff doesn't even have proper winter boots and he's been through two Czech winters already, including last year's winter when we had crazy freezing temperatures for a long time. He wears Ecco hiking boots that he bought at The Walking Company. They have a GORE-TEX lining so they're water proof but not cold proof as in "Czech winter" cold proof. Myself, I wouldn't wear anything that's not cold proof but he's been fine for the type of walking he does in them (Prague sidewalks mostly).

Dana

8. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

LOL!

I was going to purchase something like --->
    [​IMG]

My girlfriend objected quickly and now I see why. I guess Czechs prefer shoes with a lower profile. She kept saying "What?! Do you think you are going to Siberia!?"

Alright, something like
    [​IMG] (from landsend...)
    or [​IMG] (from payless...)

should do.

P.S.- this is the coat I just bought from Landsend.com.
    [​IMG] The girlfriend gave it the ok, so I must be on the right track. Yes, I got the Navy blue and Orange inside. =-]

Oh yeah, GlenninFlorida, I totally feel ya on the sandals brotha. I haven't worn shoes in a long time. And... here are those boots Dana was talking about while I'm at it... they would look something like [​IMG] this. There was quite a variety but I think that is the jist.

9. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Oh and the reason I picked shoes that go up the ankles a bit is because I'm from a desert. lol, this transition from hot to cold could be a rough one.

10. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

11. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Good job, BMoody! Looks like you'll be all set. :D The boots I was talking about are more like this: [​IMG]
    Ankle high is important.

12. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Then ankle high it shall be!! :p

13. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Oh my, Czech women are so lucky! What cute shoes and boots :D ! American footwear isn't quite so feminine. I'm a shoe-a-holic :wink: .

14. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, outside thermometer says 17°C today.
    Really unusual December temperature.

15. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Our high today in Tampa is only supposed to be 15°C - who woulda thunk? (an old Southern way of saying "who would have thought - imagined - that?"). Should be back up to about 27°C by next Tuesday, though.

16. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

My girl is already back home in the CR and she says it's actually warmer in the CR than here in Las Vegas... imagine that? I didn't buy my shoes yet, and from the looks of this Czech winter, I might not need to.

17. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

If you're done growing, consider buying them anyway, just incase. You never know when the snow is going to start blowing. And hey, you might need them again in a few years, if things work out, this might not be the only time you go to Prague. :wink: