single mothers in czech soc

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Leah, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Leah

Leah Active Member

I was reading a bunch of posts concerning social constructs and their influences over dating, et al, and I have one of my own questions...

As a single mother who is planning on moving to the CR, how are single mothers perceived and subsequently treated by society as a whole?

In 1995, I was an exchange student who lived with a single mother household in Prague, and could not really detect any differences between our different cultures in that regard. To come to think of it, I live my life very similar to how Ivana, my host mother, lived hers while I was there. However, she was divorced with two children..do you think it would be different if a single mother was never married?

2. wuzburg

wuzburg New Member

wow, sounds like my exwifes mom! even her name is dead on. last name wouldn't zubickova? as far as i experience. there really isn't that different in cutures on the single mom thing :)

3. Leah

Leah Active Member

nope, sorry, her name isn't Zubickova... :D
    thanks for the reply, though

4. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hi Leah,

I'd say this is more a question of a personal attitude; that is you may encounter people who somehow discriminate single moms. I don't think that the Czech society has a specific approach towards single mothers as a whole though...

Jirka

5. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

There's no longer a stigma attached to unwed mothers. You may experience the same difficulties divorced women with kids do but apart from that I don't see any problem.