snow clearing

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Andy, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Andy

Andy Member

Ahoj,

Strange question but hopefully someone can answer it :lol:

My wifes parents live in Chocen. They say they have to clear the snow from the paths outside their house as if someone injures themselves they are liable. They say this is the law.

I could see that it is polite and curtious but I find it hard to believe it is law.

They are saying they can't come to the UK in March because it might be snowing in Chocen at this time :?

Thank you

Andy

2. Kevinek

Kevinek New Member

Evidently this was true and may still be.

Of course most people would arrange some cover from neighbours or relatives when away.

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, it's true.

By Road law (Act 13/1997):

Owner is responsible for clearness of public sidewalks adjacent to his realty if sidewalk verges with road, if this realty lies in urban area. Violating of this law is considered as misdemeanour and can be penalized with fine. He can be responsible for potential injuries, too.

I believe I saw tv report on news from New York (I think), where is similar law(?)

4. ArieA

ArieA Active Member

In The Netherlands the same law is in force.....! I think this law is not necessary in countries where people from nature cleane their own yard....! Or not.....? Kidding....!

BTW how do you say: Happy New Year in Czech? Vecna Silvestrovsky...?

If so, take my best wishes.....! If not, take them anyway....!

Glad to be a member of this board; love you all!

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Heck, in some places in the US, you can be sued by the burglar who just broke into your house to rob you, and then ran outside and stepped on a rake that you so carelessly left lying on the back lawn. :roll:

6. Andy

Andy Member

Thank you for all the responses. :D

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Or if the burglar picks up your kitchen knife to go after you and accidentally cuts himself. :roll: We have a problem here in the US with frivolous law suits.

8. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Burglar's have more rights than the owner of the property do. That why you never mind can't say anymore. I'll say this though God WILL take care of THEM Suckers.

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

... and some of these they actually win. :shock: :roll:

10. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Does Texas still have that law where you can legally shoot a thief as long as every inch of him is inside your doorway? When I lived in Corpus Christi a friend told me this. But if the robber has even one toe outside the door you are liable.