starting with Czech

Discussion in 'General Language' started by branka, Jun 27, 2007.

1. branka

branka New Member

Hello

I would like to learn Czech (I have a Czech boyfriend and at the moment I like everything Czech, including this website :) )

My native language is Croatian which is very similar to Czech. I can understand almost everything when my boyfriend is speaking. However, speaking it myself is something completely different.

How to start if you are learning on your own? I've noticed a book on the Web that looks promising: New Czech Step by Step. I think it's even possible to get it online. What are your experiences?

Thanks.

Branka

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

If it's by Lida Hola, then it's not a teach yourself text. It's to be used with a teacher. But perhaps your boyfriend could use it to help you or maybe given the fact that you understand so much already, you would do fine without a teacher.

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Zdravo!

I always recommend learning by phrases. Learning words here and there is also a plus, but best to also remember that you're not learning Czech "on your own." In other words, you have your boyfriend to practice with. For a wealth of grammatic information, you can try Univ. or Michigan's Czech pages. They also have some basic online exercises.

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Sova, thanks for the link! :)

5. branka

branka New Member

Thank you for replying. I am a language (English) teacher myself so I suppose it should make things easier for me. My boyfriend can't help m much since it's for the time being a long-distance relationship. So i'll give it a try.

6. BrianMoylan

BrianMoylan Member

I am visiting Prague for the first time in July and I want to learn how to speak enough Czech to get around and be friendly so I found this site:
    www.locallingo.com.
    There are a lot of words and phrases with Real Audio pronunciation. I saved them to my Itunes and will download to my Nano so I can practice while on the plane and then have them with me all the time.
    I hope this helps.

7. branka

branka New Member

Thanks for replying.

I have already visited the site and it's reallly useful. This is where I found the information about the books available for learning Czech.

I hope you have a nice trip to Prague.

8. _Angel_

_Angel_ New Member

dobro je Branka! I ja isto ovaj ceski ucim! Trebaju mi rijeci neke a nezna gdje da nadjem :(

gdje si ti to nasla?

9. branka

branka New Member

Vau! Your Croatian is really impressive! I think it will not be very difficult to learn Czech then since they are (to me) remarkably similar.

The website we talked about is actually displayed on the top of this page: Local Lingo - a site that helps you learn Czech.

I would like to know how and why you learnt Croatian.

Good luck!

10. ArieA

ArieA Active Member

11. ArieA

ArieA Active Member

The seem from me Sova..... It's a great help in grammar....

Děkuji a pozdraviti.....