Status of foreign spouse

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by magan, Jan 24, 2006.

1. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Dana will probably answer as Jeff is in similar situation, but I am not sure where they got married. My marriage is not confirmed in CR in any way.

I married Canadian citizen in Canada (I am Canadian/Czech citizen) and I wonder if spouse will have any special status i.e. still needs visa etc., or some other ++?
    Can you advise?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi magan,

As far as I know, your husband does not automatically receive a new status just by being married to you. Jeff now has permanent residency in the Czech Republic (see my post about this under Permanent residence visa for spouse of Czech Citizen) but before he became a permanent resident, he was considered just a "plain old" American citizen (i.e. tourist) when traveling to the Czech Republic, even when we traveled together.

We were married in the U.S. but we also had our marriage registered in the Czech Republic (at the matrika in Brno I think). You may be required to do this in order for you and your husband to be considered "legally married under the Czech law". I unfortunately don't remember all the steps in the process.

The best thing for you will be to talk to the Czech embassy/consulate in Canada. The Czech consulate in L. A. was very helpful in my case.

Good luck!

Dana

3. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Thank you Dana.