Studying in Prague in July

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by playingbyheart, Jun 8, 2004.

1. playingbyheart

playingbyheart New Member

Hello everyone. I'm from the US and participating in a study abroad program in Prague for the month of July and am very excited to visit your country. I have never been to Prague or any of Europe before, and would appreciate any insider information before I depart the states come June 28th. What is appropriate to wear to courses at Charles University and how to people generally dress on the streets? I've heard that Jeans are a no-no in Europe, but that in Prague some people wear them. I am attempting to pack very lightly, as I will be continuing on to Budapest, Croatia, Italy, Paris and London for a short backpacking trip following my stay in Prague, and would like to pack clothing that will be appropriate for all of these destinations. Also, I am interested in the theatre and art scene in Prague and would love any suggestions about smaller theatre groups and the underground art scene there. In any case, I just wanted to say hi and meet some people on these boards- since you all seem so incredibly nice.

2. p3_141597i

p3_141597i Member

I was an exchange student in the Czech Republic back in 2000. from what I know jeans are about as populare over there as they are here. While I was at charles the dress codes are pretty similiar to ours. I'd just take the few essentials nothing flambouant. Some cities over there can get pretty windy so a sweater might be called for. The only differences I think you'll see will just be the culture, but don't worry Im sure you will love it to death by the end. and its great your getting your first dose of Europe in CZ, the same was mine, and it will change your whole perception of things for the rest of your life. Good luck!
    Cheers, Joshua Hull

3. Red

Red Member

I just arrived here in Prague from California 6 days ago. I am living/working here for a few months. Jeans are very popular here. Everybody wears them. The fashions are a little different than what we normally see in America though. Nothing personal to any male Czechs, but the woman here seem to dress much more dignified than the men do.