Supermarkets in Prague

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Anna683, May 20, 2008.

1. Anna683

Anna683 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where the good supermarkets are located in Prague? Apart from Tesco on Národní třída, are there any others with a good range?

2. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

We used the Carrefour alot at Slavia in Prague 10 on the 20 and 22 tram route. We always got what we wanted and found things a bit cheaper there than the other supermarkets closer to the centre.

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

There is a Tesco (used to be Carrefour) in the shopping center at Anděl (at least it was there last time I was) - it is bigger and nicer than the one you mentioned. Very close to Metro and tram stops.

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

It is similar as in all big cities in Europe (Paris, London) almost none or small grocery stores in the very centers* (historic centers) of cities - smaller supermarkets all around, and big hypermarkets on suburbs. (Zličín, Černý Most...).

*) I remember it took me like 15 minutes to find grocery store close to Eiffel Tower in Paris. And even after I found one, I was amazed by prices - cheapest coke for €1,5 for 1,5l bottle (while normal price was around €0,5).

5. Anna683

Anna683 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm keen to find good supermarkets/grocers with a nice range of fruit/vegetables in the centre (especially Prague 1, but also Prague 2 or Prague 3). When I visited last, Tesco was the only one that I could see, though I didn't look for others once I'd found it.

6. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

The Tesco at Narodni Trida is probably the worst example - the fruit and veg in particular, isn't up to much and it's very cramped. As Glenn said, the one at Anděl or Nový Smíchov is much better, as is the one at Eden.

Personally, I now reckon I spend more money at Tesco, not only because prices are going up in general, but also because they have so many lines that I always end up buying things I don't really need! So I have started going to Billa - there's a new one at Vysočany, or there's Prosek. They're a bit further out but I think they're nicer.

And although most ex-pats here criticise Albert, there's a new one at Florenc that I think is very nice.

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

What I heard from czech expats in London, they usually criticese Lidl, and prefer ASDA. Sry for OT.

8. jen

jen Well-Known Member

When I lived in Prague, I was never particularly impressed with Tesco's fruit and veg...and now that I live outside the city, I'm not particularly impressed with Hypernova's fruit and veg. You're better off buying fresh produce at a Vietnamese produce stand....

9. Suniskys

Suniskys Active Member

When we were there we did a lot of shopping at Billa and found it great. The one we went to is in Praha 3, just off the 133 bus.

10. kitkit

kitkit Member

Tesco at Eden is good. They normally have fresh veggies. The nearest supermarket for me is Hypernova. They're more pricey.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Btw. there is Billa in the airport (open last year), one of cheapest places in the airport to buy some snack or beverages when waiting for your flight.

12. Polednikova

That's a good tip. I hate paying the airport prices.

13. petri

petri Well-Known Member

How about the Albert at Kotva (departmentstore)?

14. petri

petri Well-Known Member

Me too! The prices at Prague airport are shocking compared to common price level in Czech! A pint of Pils costs about five times more than anywhere else (well Staromestske namesti doesen´t count :wink: ).

15. Polednikova

With respect, I knew without looking that a man posted this! In my humble opinion, based on years of happy (!) food shopping , the Kotva Albert is not one of the best, she said diplomatically.

16. petri

petri Well-Known Member

Maybe so, I´ve been satisfied for its assortment...but I´m just a guy. :D

17. Polednikova

I've just had a wonderful supermarket shopping experience in Prague. First of all, it was a new Albert. On Křižíkova, just down from the ČSOB across from Palác Karlín near the metro. So it's well stocked and nicer than the ones that have been open for years.

But the gem was Miluška, I think she said her name was. Yes, she introduced herself. She saw me looking at the meat cabinet, deciding what to buy and said something to me in Czech and I had to do my usual mumbling about not understanding and only knowing a bit of Czech.

But instead of turning her attention to a more receptive audience, we proceeded to have a good five minutes of social chit chat, with her asking all about where I was from, what I was doing here and being enchanted with my excrutiating Czech and saying how well I was doing!

While I've never found Czechs as rude as some other ex-pats, I have to say that this was the friendliest reception I've had in Prague and needless to say, I shall be making this particular branch of Albert my regular from now on. And I'll write to Albert's head office to tell them to look after her and make her a staff trainer!