Surname Hustedde

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Paint, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Paint

Paint Well-Known Member

I'm trying to help a friend of mine research her family history. Her great-grandparents, with the surname Hustedde, came to the United States from Prague. To start, is this even a Czech surname?

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not, at least with the present spelling. However, it depends on whether you have some written proof of the name (like birth or wedding certificate) from the time her ancestors arrived to U.S., as it might have been modified by immigration officers or by her great-grandparents themselves. It might be a Jewish surname, anyway.

3. Karel Fous

Karel Fous Well-Known Member

I am not sure about Jewish name. Jews had to use a German names after year 1787. What about Holland? As wrote Jana, try find any certificate or record at archive of Ellis Island Museum.
    Karel

4. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Hey, that's my last name too! My gg-grandparents were from Northwestern Germany, however. The -de ending is typical of Low German and Dutch names, although some have suggested a Danish connection and in fact I have found the name Husted or Hustad listed as Danish in some surname dictionaries. Prague seems to be a little far for a direct connection, but who knows? Coincidentally, my Hustedde branch is connected by marriage to a Dusek family originally from Lesany, near Prague.

5. Karel Fous

Karel Fous Well-Known Member

The question was, if it could be a Czech name and our answer was, that probably not. What's the problem? :roll: You are confirming our expressions. :wink:
    Karel

6. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

There's no "problem", I just thought that if the consensus was that the name was not Czech, then it might be nice to know what it was. Sheesh. Pardon my excess information.