Svíčkova

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by dzurisova, Mar 15, 2007.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Not to toot my own horn but to share in the celebration:

Yesterday was my third and only successful attempt at making Svíčkova. I've tried it with much frustration before but could never seem to get it right. However, yesterday, my Czech family said it was very good. "Just like my grandma's" was a comment from my step-daughter. And believe me, if it was still wrong, they would have said so, they did in the past.

I was ready to initiate the 3 strikes and your out policy and throw in the towel if I hadn't gotten it right. I'm so happy! :lol:

Too bad there is no way to share some with you all through the computer. :wink:

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Congrats, Katka! That's not an easy recipe.

3. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Katka, Katka the svíčková is my most favorite meal!!!!

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Congratulaton, Dzurisovak!

You will got Řád šunky zlaté (the Order of Gold Ham )! :)

5. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

No, no eso. That was a "Order of a Gold spoon" :D

To byl přeci "Řád Zlaté Vařečky"

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Svatba prince Radovana a princezny Lady.

Král, Ladin otec si pochutnává: „To je šunka… Jemně uzená… Kdopak jí udil?“
    Kuchař: „Prosím, králi, já!“
    Král: „Kuchaři, víš co? Já ti tentokráte udělím řád šunky zlaté.“

7. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

So Katka will get a "Order of GOLD SVICKOVA". Best svíčková in the Michigan, maybe in whole US, who knows :wink: :wink:

8. dzurisova

Whoo Hoo, I'm all for that! I was happy with "Just like my grandma's". But hey, if we are going to go all out, maybe I can convince my husband that it calls for the order of a gold necklace or bracelet! :wink: :lol:

9. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

For a big piece of a good bite, why not.

... You know I'm hungry like a dog now. I'm gonna get something to eat, maybe then I will change my mind in this issue :wink: :twisted:

10. hoosiermike

hoosiermike New Member

Congratulations to you, Katka! :D I envision your husband giving you a pearl necklace this evening.

11. magan

magan Well-Known Member

To make perfect Svickova is real art as recipe is not all what is needed. Before you make it you have to have it at least 100 times to emulate one which you think was "the best". That "taste" is developed through the years after much tasting experience. Svickova is always judged by those "who know".....and it is "judged" every single time, because it is never the same. That is one reason why Svickova is so revered in Czech cousine as it depends on this (secret) skill.

[/img]

12. dzurisova

Oh no, that means it might suck again the next time I make it! :cry:

I guess we will forego the gold or pearl necklace. :wink:

13. magan

magan Well-Known Member

If I could figure out how to insert photo from my PC, I would show you what can you do next time.

14. J J Janousek

J J Janousek Member

Please post your recipe. My grandmother's recipe is missing. It was her tradition to make at Easter [yes, I know it should be lamb].

The only thing I remember is Beef Tenderloin is the cut of meat to use.