Svůj

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Ahmedelbadrawi, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Ahmedelbadrawi

Ahmedelbadrawi New Member

Dear group members
    Am so interested in Czech language and its grammatical cases; one of the most challenging topics for me is how the possessive pronoun svůj is used , and its different grammatical cases , can any one help to simplify it
    Thanks

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hello! Can you please be more specific as to what exactly you'd like explained about the pronoun "svůj"? You've probably found the grammatical cases listed somewhere (svůj, svého, svému...). What can I try to explain?

3. Ahmedelbadrawi

Thanks for your response
    What confuses me the most is ( svůj) on the accusative case . What I understood is that ( Svůj) is used when the ( subject) or doer is doing action towards someone or something related to him
    I need to know if my understanding is correct
    And if it’s correct; how (Svůj) should be in accusative case . For e.g. sometimes I expect it should be ( sveho) and it is ( své) ..
    thanks alot and your response is appreciated

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Svůj is a possessive pronoun just like můj, tvůj, náš, etc. What's different about svůj is that it is a reflexive pronoun and relates to the self (myself, himself, themselves...) in the sense of "my own", "his own", etc. For example, you can say musím dokončit svou práci (I have to finish my work), musíš dokončit svou práci (you have to finish your work), musíme dokončit svou práci (we have to finish our work). It wouldn’t be a big mistake if you simply used mou, tvou, naši in those instances (and you’ll see that mistake made quite often by Czech speakers) but technically, you should use svůj.

The declension of svůj / svá / své / svoje is the same as můj / má / mé / moje or tvůj / tvá / tvé / tvoje.

Below are the declension forms for the masculine, feminine, and neuter genders in SINGULAR.

Masculine: SVŮJ

1. svůj
    2. svého
    3. svému
    4. svůj (used with an inanimate object, e.g. “dům”) x svého (used with an animate object, e.g. “syna”)
    5. svůj
    6. svém
    7. svým

Feminine: SVÁ or SVOJE (these are more or less interchangeable)

1. svá / svoje
    2. své / svojí
    3. své / svojí
    4. svou / svoji
    5. svá / svoje
    6. své / svojí
    7. svou / svojí

Neuter: SVÉ or SVOJE (also more or less interchangeable)

1. své / svoje
    2. svého
    3. svému
    4. své / svoje
    5. své / svoje
    6. svém
    7. svým

In PLURAL, all the cases are the same for all the genders except for the nominative and accusative:

1. Masculine (inanimate object, e.g. “domy”): SVÉ / SVOJE
    Masculine (animate object, e.g. “synové”): SVÍ / SVOJI
    Feminine: SVÉ / SVOJE
    Neuter: SVÁ / SVOJE

2. svých
    3. svým

4. Masculine and feminine: své / svoje
    Neuter: svá / svoje

5. same as the nominative for each gender
    6. svých
    7. svými

Let me know if the above was helpful and if you need any clarifications. I'll be happy to explain further.

Ahmedelbadrawi likes this.
  5. Ahmedelbadrawi

Wow , it couldn’t be better
    Am really so thankful for your help , and really I appreciate your kindness
    Děkuji mockrát

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

You're very welcome! I'm happy I could help. Rádo se stalo.

Ahmedelbadrawi likes this.