Svickova

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by dzurisova, Apr 17, 2006.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've tried to follow a couple of svickova recipes and maybe you just have to be Czech because none of them have turned out.

One problem I have is that the meet does not slice, it falls apart like a nice tender roast, which is not what one wants for svickova.

Someone please let me know if I'm using the wrong cut or what the problem is. I usually simply buy what ever kind of beef roast that looks good.

Thanks

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I'm not big cook, but was it really sirloin?

3. dzurisova

I'm not sure. I've tried it a few times and each time the roast falls apart. I don't know what kind of roast I used. I just look for the one that is priced reasonably and doesn't show a lot of fat on it.

4. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

My mother made the world's BEST svickova. even better than the former Ruc Restaurant in New York City.

She used the tenderloin for her Svickova. It sliced BEAUTIFULLY. the very best is a venison tenderloin. OH MY GOODNESS - so very good.

5. dzurisova

Great! Thanks :p

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Use probe when you are roasting meat. Proper cut is "svickova" which means "tenderloin" which is individual long muscle, not our usual roast cut. (Shawl) in Czech. Meat is also marinated for at least overnight or more. It will get already tender by that and will require less cooking than you think. So roast it with probe to get perfect temperature. Then let sit covered. For thin slices (as Czechs do) you have to cool meat first then slice cold. Slices are warmed up in Svickova sauce before serving.
    Good luck.

7. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Definately - Svickova meat is marinated - my mother marinated it for 3-4 days - turning it over daily. This way the marinate tenderizes the meat through and through.

Svickova is alway better the next day, that why the meat is cooled, cut and then heated in the gravy.

I am getting sooooo hungry for svickiva - I did not make it this year. Since it is a fall/winter dish, I won't until next fall. You can make a mock svickova gravy to pour over meatloaf and that is very good.