Teaching English with a Macedonian University degree?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by Marjan, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Marjan

Marjan New Member

hi guys, i'm a student of the faculty of philology Blaze Koneski in Skopje, Macedonia. After i finish my studies (in an year or two) I plan to move to the Czech republic through the Open Chance pilot program which is available for Macedonia from July 2006.
    My plan is to teach English there, so i wondered if any of you could tell me:
    1. Is my degree sufficient or I'll have do take further exams and
    2. Which part of the Czech republic is the best from the perspective of the job opportunities/low living costs ratio.

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

If you want to teach English in Language schools you should have TEFL certificate, most of the schools require having that. I think you can find some schools where you don't have to have this ceritificate, mostly Czech high schools and universities though.

The best job opportunities are in big cities, i.e. Prague, Brno, Olomouc, etc., but the living cost is higher than in countryside.

3. Marjan

Marjan New Member

thank you gementricxs.

actually, i've already found some positions that i'll be qualified for
    (of course when i finish university) and they are all for high schools.
    the pay is about 14000 k up to 20000 at the most, but of course for beginers it's probably the fist figure or maybe even less.
    i looked at some of the other posts and saw that the living costs are around 10000 with expences, but without food and transport.
    so my questions are, do private language schools pay more and is there a way to get a cheaper accomodation (and i would go with anything as long as it is clean, you wouldn't believe some of the places i've lived in :) ).

4. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

The money you get in Language schools vary, but mostly it's around 300 to 400Kc for a lesson (45 to 60 minutes long, depends on the school). Even though this wage look cool, it's NOT a 9 to 5er job, you mostly have 2, 3 or 4 lessons a day. At least this is what I know from my friends.

It depends where you wanna stay, the prices for one bedroom apartments are from 9 to 12 000 Kc, it depends what area of Prague it is. You can also find some roommate so the price would be lower. Renting apartment is pretty expensive in Prague.

Also I've read some ads for high schools outside Prague, mostly in some smaller cities and they even give you place to live for free if you work with them.

5. Marjan

Marjan New Member

Thanks gementricxs, you've been a great help.

If anyone else has any more information, please don't be shy and write.
    :)