The 5 C's-Cowardly, Cynical, Conceited, Complacent, Corrupt

Discussion in 'Culture' started by davidaodonnell, May 7, 2008.

1. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

"I was impressed how you guys handled the debate. Answering his sweeping charges with humour, and efforts to create real dialogue. While we Americans kind of resorted to snide remarks and put downs. "
    -scrimshaw

:-]

I, as an American, sure did resort to aggressiveness rather quickly. I realized fairly soon that David was beyond repair and decided to deal some blows in return for the 'trolling' he was about to give us. I guess it was just my imperialist American preemptive strike attitude. Believe it or not, I'm rather proud of that--I prize initiative. :wink:

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

In that case, I apologise on behalf of Britons - we're not all like that!

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

no apology needed - we know :D

4. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

dzurisova...
    I have re-read my post and i come over rather sanctimonious which was not my intention :oops: I did say that i did not hold with davidaodonnell's views, but should have said that his manner was unpolite - so take it that my wrists have been duly slapped.

Glenn...
    Thanks for your support of us Brits.

5. GlennInFlorida

Well, of course - I'm double-barreled English on my father's side (White and Beardsley - descended from Perigine White who was born on the Mayflower) and Irish/Scotch on my mothers side. How I came to fall in love with the Czech Republic so much is beyond me but I did, none the less. :)

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

It sometimes looks like Mayflower was the biggest ship ever built :), like half of americans has some descent who came on Mayflower ;-)

7. GlennInFlorida

Either that or those pilgrims were a prolific bunch :wink:
    Then again, a lot of people claim to be descended without any real proof ( I do have extensive geneological records, however).

8. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

well i for one can say that me family missed that boat by about 300 years :D

although this thread has made me a bit concerned....

czech by blood - american by birth...

not much of a future, eh???

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Just some numbers to add:

102 passengers on the Mayflower (1620), only 53 persons (including crew) still alive after an outbreak of a contagious disease by March 1621. (And I think the crew, at least some of them, came back to Englant the same year).

So, as Glenn said, either VERY profilic bunch, or bunch with VERY no proofs :)

Btw, Glenn, do you have idea about your descents prior to William and/or Susanna White, prior to the Mayflower, back in England?

10. GlennInFlorida

no - the trail goes dead in the Netherlands (where the pilgrims were for some 20 odd years before they came here) - I haven't been able to trace any additional English roots :(

11. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Glenn....

Sorry to be pedantic but scotch is the drink! You mean Scots...... i don't want you to offend a whole nation!! :wink:

12. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Well now I feel the need to apologize if I gave the impression of slapping your wrist. :) Perhaps I could learn a more polite way to state my point as well. :wink:

13. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Dzurisova.....

I promise to stop apologizing if you will :wink:

14. GlennInFlorida

You are right, of course :D
    Many people here don't make the distinction, however, and I just used common, local form.
    BTW - I do enjoy a good Scotch, too. (single malt when available, Dewer's otherwise)

15. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

16. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

For me it was Jamestown, not Plymouth.

17. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

yeah right and people from tennesee are bourbon which is what i'd like them to be.
    I think maybe the climate affects the temperament; dark, moody,distant, mysterious..... A bit like the scotch with a dash of danger.