The famous "R" consonant !!

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Winter, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

Well, that is another different thingie:)
    The child does not say it "incorrectly", it says it "correctly with some insufficiency" originating from its incapability to articulate.
    If you accept the child's pronuncitation and say "libary", it may come to a curious situation when the child corrects you with saying "Not libary. Libary!" And in fact the variant "libary" which stands for "library" is acousticaly different from the variant "libary" which is repeated after the parent, but this is of course not audible as the difference is extremely subtle.

2. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Again I have to agree Eleshar.

Not only is it a matter of articulation, but also I think, of how well the learner heres all the different sounds in the first place.

I know with czech, there are a lot of subtle sounds, or specifics of pronunciation, that I am not picking up simply because my ears are not trained to hear them.

I can say a word....any word...potřebuji for example
    and a czech friend will say, Ńo, it's 'potřebuji'. To me when I repeat it, I think it sounds just like she says it.

3. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

Interesting and extremely useful thing is that when you learn to produce a sound, you are far more capable of distinguishing it. Of course it is necessary to practice both production and perception... but that is it! you cannot practice only perception (if you are not a trained phonetician) because it is really hard. But when you learn to produce the sound correctly, you learn to hear it.

4. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I think you are exactly right Eleshar.
    The more I pronounce it and hear it, the more I should be able to discern the finer sounds.
    That multi.media section is very useful for that.
    Having the written word in combination with the audio, and trying to speak along with them, I think is a great learning aid.