The One thing not to say to perhaps future in-laws...!!!

Discussion in 'Culture' started by BMoody, Oct 13, 2006.

1. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm coming to visit the CR from Dec 31st til the 14th of January, and I'm meeting my Czech girlfriend's parents for the first time. I'm very intent on making a good impression on them!

Yet...

I sent them an email with my flight schedule and this quote "I'm very excited to meet you all!" My girlfriend speaks English well and pointed out that her step-father would probably understand that sentence very differently!!! Apparently, it means that I am "stimulated" to see you in Czech... ... ... ... :oops: OOOPs!!!! So ummm, yeah, I guess that her parents probably think I'm pretty friendly, or down right frisky, hahahaha! Can't win them all right?

2. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Oh yes, her step-father speaks broken English, and thus the dangerous translation! Oh no! :shock:

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I don't think so.

4. mbm

mbm Well-Known Member

I do think so.

The dictionary translation of excited is vzrušený, which in Czech has all the sexual overtones you can think of. It does not have such wild connotations in English, but some Czechs do not know this, especially if they only speak very simple English. They might think the thought of meeting them gets you "in the mood"... :lol:

5. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

They do speak only "simple English." This trip is going to be interesting... I can already tell. :shock: :shock: :shock: lol

6. mbm

mbm Well-Known Member

That's why learning languages is so much fun. It allows us all to misunderstand each other in new interesting ways.

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

HaHa! How true!

8. impish

impish Active Member

My boyfriend refuses to teach me Czech so I've been researching it on my own.

Imagine my delight when I found out that his last name means "bubbles" in English. If I was a big manly Czech hockey player I wouldn't want my 4ft 11 babyfaced girlfriend calling me Mr. Bubbles either :lol: