To pronounce or not to pronounce

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Calvario, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

Yes, of course, and as a student, I suppose that if anyone should not understand me, he would ask. But still, this was a singular post (more precisely, it was nothing but a sidenote to a post, even though it was somehow... longer than the original post, whose purpose was originaly completely different, as is the purpose of this note in parentheses, which is also becoming longer than the original body of the text to which it serves as an explicative note :twisted: ) and I am too lazy to explain terminology in my every post.

2. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

hmm, I am not entirely certain what it is you said in your second sentence here, but I guess the gist of it is that at times the explanation is pretty wordy and the vocabulary used is too technical?
    If that's what you mean, I'd agree with it. And I think that's what I was trying to point out

3. Calvario

Calvario Well-Known Member

Kinda off topic but I have a question in regards to pronunciation.

I have read that mě is pronounced [mne] Yes I know there is a n accent over the N. Anyways, I see in my dictionary that this is so on most accounts however I was looking at SMĚT in my dictionary and it shows that it is pronounced [smyet] no N sound . I looked around and most words starting with Smě..... also are pronounced this way. Other words starting mě... or that have mě in them are pronounced [mne]. So what is the reason for this? Is it just my dictionary or is there some reason why the N sound has been omitted? How is it normally pronounced?

Thanks,
    Calvario

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I only know, that I pronounce smět as "smnět" - with ň sound.

5. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

...... is pronounced either [mje] or [mňe]. The palatal consonants j and ň sound similarly (or at least their articulation is similar) after the consonant m.

Pronounce either [mje] or [mňe] and don't care!

N.B. It does not apply to bě, pě, vě, fě.

6. Calvario

I can live with that.
    Thanks,
    Calvario

7. Eleshar

But "mně" is always [mňe].

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

As a social worker, I tend to enjoy the subjective more than the objective. Without wanting to offend Eleshar, but feeling the need to defend Kanadanka's point, I must agree with Kanadanka. Eleshar, I'm sorry, but I often find myself skipping over your post because they are just so technical that I don't enjoy reading them. I get on this site because I enjoy learning about the language/culture. But there are enjoyable ways to learn and then there are technical & boring ways to learn. I just want to be able to converse with my czech friends and family. I don't want to earn a doctorate in the Language.

9. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Well that is not a nice thing to say dzurisovak.
    I'm surprised that you would want to criticize.
    The posts are helpful and attempts to explain.
    That is wers field of expertize.
    We all talk about things that interest us right?

10. dzurisova

Your right scrimshaw. I'm extremely sorry Eleshar. After posting it, I thought twice and then tried to delete it but couldn't figure out how.

As a woman, can I have a luxury of having rude moments and then blaming it on PMS? :twisted:

Once again, I wish I could take it back Eleshar. Just because one thinks something doesn't mean they have the right to rudely declare it. I know you are only trying to be helpful and I bet some people actually prefer to learn your way.

11. scrimshaw

I'm sure eleshar understands.
    PMS.....that explains so much in this world. :lol:

12. Calvario

I appreciate everyones help. This post started with such humble beginnings. It is not possible without input from every single person on this site to say whether they like an indepth explanation or just a simple one. Simple is nice. But indepth is what some of us really want. I am a technically minded person who likes detail. I go nuts with just a simple answer sometimes. The "how's and why's" are important. We all learn differently. If someone has a point they want to make that my cause another to be put on the defensive why not PM that person.

I haven't seen a "simple" breakdown of Eleshar's post yet. If there is a way to do it then by all means please do. If not, there was not much point in saying anything to begin with.

Keep posting, learning , and havin' fun.
    Calvario

13. Eleshar

Dzurisovak: You really, really disappointed me with your regrettable expression of absolute ignorancy reflexed by your lack of willingness to earn a doctorate in the Czech language. What a pity, my whole life now seems in ruins.
    Well...
    In fact...
    Not really. I do not give a damn to it:)) As Scrimshaw pointed out, I try to explain things... things that are very very complex but they are still in everyday usage. I am well aware that many people will not appreciate my post as they would deserve but still there maybe people who do appreciate them (and i explained myself - there are things that will trouble you in everyday communication and you will try to solve them, improve in your language skills and there are basically two ways - learn it by heart, in that case I bid you good luck :wink: - and to understand the system and thus reduce the number of elements and rules to be remembered to minimum; and yes you mentioned "more enjoyable ways of learning" but... well, I am not sure whether my possibilities on this forum are sufficient to open really enjoyable interactive courses of Czech language, but if you know about any, I fully encourage you to tell me :wink: ).
    The other thing is, that as you may have already noticed, I am a linguist (although a mere student) and those reflexions are possibly more valuable for me than for any other people. I do not create them out of my "vast knowledge of Czech grammar", no, not at all. Most often, I am thinking them through during my writing and I often come with something that surprises me... a thing that I would have never imagined... but a thing that exist in my own language. I can give you an extremely valuable advice:
    If you at some point of your life decide to become more familiar with your own language and its inner structure, go and teach them to others. This will allow you to realise so much new about a thing you consider self-evident and common that you will wonder about your own capacity of using in unconciously every day.

14. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I am so glad that in the middle of the civilized universe that sarcastic humor is still practiced. :lol:

I, for one, appreciate your technical explanations, Eleshar. But then again, I'm very analytical, so your comments are precisely what I look for.

15. scrimshaw

Dzurisovak
    Now it seems we're piling on.
    Time to let her up off the ground. We beat her up enough. :lol:

16. dzurisova

Thank you scrimshaw for coming to my resue. I was patiently waiting for it to die down. :lol: I was about to scream out to Kanadanka for help! :twisted:

17. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

Kanadanka, in her full RCMP uniform, comes galloping over (on her faithful steed) only to discover that the battle is over.....
    Now what?

18. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

19. scrimshaw

Night in shining armor already made his disappeared into the sunset a couple days ago. He was something to behold.

20. scrimshaw

....made his appearance and.....