Train from Ostrava to Vienna

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by AJ, Dec 10, 2007.

1. AJ

AJ Active Member

I have used the idos.cz link on various occasions.
    I know the train goes daily from Ostrava to Vienna,
    but I can't get a price for this, unlike the local trains.
    Can anyone tell me where I can get a price.
    Staying in Vienna for two days, so a return ticket will be no use
    and I remember when I did this trip over a year ago, the outbound
    ticket was reasonable, but for some reason the ticket from Vienna
    to Ostrava was extortionate.
    Was I ripped off??????
    Any advice appreciated

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Try www.jizdenka.cz International Tariff Calculator.
    The ordinary price for one way ticket Ostrava - Wien FJB 2nd class is (today) 44,7€ (1216 CZK)

3. Zik

Zik Well-Known Member

Sorry fot this post. I read the original post bad. Could anybody delete it? :oops:

4. pismomalir

pismomalir Member

International return tickets are valid for a week, so that's what you should buy. For one thing, you'll get discount because it' s a return, and secondly you'll avoid the 'rip-off' overcharging by the Austrians (charging you the Austrian rate per kilometre for the whole trip, rather than the austrian rate for the austrian section and the czech rate for the czech section, which is how they will do it in Ostrava).

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

But still 44€ is too much. I paid about 32€ for one-way trip from Vienna to Ostrava (Petrovice u Karviné actually, which is 30 km more than to Ostrava), and I still feel ripped off.

Next time I will only pay in railway station in Vienna for part Vienna-first czech station, and then pay for another part to Ostrava directly to the czech conductor in the train. There will be some 30 Kč charge, but still, austrian border - Ostrava cannot be more then 300 Kč (11€). (Second class network ticket (except SuperCity trains, but inclusive InterCity and EuroCity trains) costs 390 Kč (780 Kč for up to 5 people) for 1 day.

6. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

You could always take a train to Brno, and then take a student agency bus to Vienna.