Train Traveling

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Rees, May 8, 2007.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Well perhaps you guys should invade a country with oil and you might get gas cheeper! :wink: :lol:

Just Kidding. Sometimes I like to poke fun at misconceptions.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

It was hard decision for me to write about it or not in my previous post, and I decided not to. :)

But the UK, Poland, and some other countries have troops in Iraq (even the Czech rep. have some), despite it in the UK gas cost $7-8 per gallon so I do not think it is all about oil :)

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Of course it isn't about oil.
    It's about US visas! ;)

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

USA went to Iraq just because of visas for Czech rep. :D

Note for USA citizens: understand, three most discussed matters in czech newspapers an TV concerning USA are:
    :!: War in Iraq
    :roll: US Missile base/Radar base in area of Czech rep. and Poland
    :arrow: Visas to USA

(Maybe four - American Budweiser stole traditional brand name for "Budějovické pivo Budvar", in german "Budweiser Bier" - so trademark should be czech, I guess.) 8)

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I, for one, would like to see all of the first three go away.

I would like the people of Iraq to be free of strife and able to govern themselves in whatever manner they see fit without American "help".

I would like for there to be no need for missle bases and radar.

I would like all Czech people to able to visit here as easily as I visit there - Visa requirements (for Czech citizens) seem to be a superfluous holdover from the cold war era.

Lastly, American Budweiser sells more, Budvar tastes better - someone else will have to decide that one :wink:

6. dzurisova

Of course it's not about the oil. But a lot of Americans like to think it is so I have fun playing with that one. :twisted:

About the visas? Don't all foreigners need visas to come to the States? Or am I just entirely ignorant on this subject :?: :?

7. GlennInFlorida

8. dzurisova

Thanks Glenn

Oh everyone, here's a little joke that was timely sent to me today.

I went into the gas station today and
    asked for five dollars worth of gas...

The clerk farted and gave me a receipt

I know it's disgusting and I was embarrased to send it. :oops: But it fits right into our conversation. :oops: :)

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Maybe you should not use word gas for somethink what actualy is liquid :)

This can be a little confusing. But we have something similar here - same word ("plyn") in czech and some other slavic languages means "gas", but in another slavic language, polish, means "liquid".

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, it's all confusing, of course. But perhaps benzín is not the best word for it either, since the chemical composition of gasoline includes very little benzene (<5%).

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

:idea: Maybe that is because we call it benzín (gas/petrol) instead of benzen (benzene).

12. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Okay, fine, if you want to get technical! :oops: :roll: :wink: Still, it is obviously from the same root. The English "petrol" makes more sense to me, since it is easy to distinguish, yet maintains the same root as "petroleum" from which it is derived chemically.

13. eso

eso Well-Known Member

There is even English word benzine, which is neither petroll nor Czech benzín, if I understand it correctly :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzine

14. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

And they say that naming conventions in organic chemistry are logical ... :roll:

15. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Maybe in English, but not in Czech. “Petroleum/petrolej” means “kerosene”. :twisted:

The word “benzin” is derived from “benzol”.
    “Benzen” is a modern English-based terminology.

16. GlennInFlorida

yeah, yeah, yeah....

but if it ain't called gas, then the joke ain't funny :wink:

17. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Glenn, you sure make this site more interesting! I don't know what we'd do without you. :lol:

18. GlennInFlorida

It has always been my greatest pleasure to give someone a smile and then share it with them...

and

if we learn something new at the same time, all the better! :)