translate last name "Stumf"

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by mjkampbell, May 14, 2007.

1. mjkampbell

mjkampbell New Member

Could someone please translate the last name "Stumf" from English into Czech?

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

What exactly does "Stumf" mean in English?

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

It sounds like German “Stumpf” which is “stump” in English.

stumpf (adjective) - tupý, matný - blunt, dull, obtuse

der Stumpf (noun) - pahýl, pařez - stub, stump

4. mjkampbell

mjkampbell New Member

Stumf is my grandfather's last name

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

My point was that the name doesn't sound at all English or Czech. I think wer nailed it (maybe one of these days, I'll pick up German). Quite a few Czechs have German surnames.

6. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

German Stumpf is one of a large group of nickname surnames that refer to size; in this case, small size. Duden has two listings for it as a size nickname, "undersized" and "like a tree stump", and one for "weak-minded". Tupý and Pařez are in the Czech Ministry of the Interior list of names (here if you want to see. Be forewarned, it's only in Czech; the male surname list is under přímení ČR), but no Matný or Pahýl. Paholík is listed, though. Is that a diminutive of Pahýl?

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

A few? Possibly 30 % of Czech surnames are of German origin. But a lot of them are bohemized.

Frequencies of related male surnames from the list Ceit wrote about:

Stumpf … 25
    Štumpf … 137
    Štumf … 5

Well, the translations I wrote here are not the only possible.
    It could be a non-standard diminutive of Pahýl, but I think it is rather a form of “pachole/pacholík” (= pageboy).

8. evantula

evantula Active Member

This name is German (pronounced most likely "Schtoomf")

9. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

The second is correct.
    Diminutive of "pahýl" would be "pahýlek"

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

"Quite a few" doesn't mean the same as "a few." Perhaps the best translation of "quite a few" is "nemalo." Note, slovnik.cz incorrectly translates this as "celkem malo," emphasizing how few, rather than emphasizing not a few. Still, I didn't realize that the percentage was as high as 30%--I figured more like 15-20%.

11. wer

wer Well-Known Member

All right. 8)

I was misled :oops: by my dictionary which gives “docela málo” as the translation of “quite a few” :evil:.
    Yes, “nemálo” seems be good translation - my dictionary confirms it, but only in the direction from Czech to English :roll:.

Well, that’s a number I heard somewhere. And I think it fits.
    I understand that the German origin of some names could be hardly identifiable for non-natives, sometimes even for natives. The name “Šafařík”, for example, sounds quite Czech.

12. mjkampbell

mjkampbell New Member

Thank you to all for your assistance. I guess I'll check the german translation.